Predestination in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Genesis 21:12-13 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called. 13 And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.
- Exodus 9:16 And in very deed for this cause have I raised thee up, for to shew in thee my power; and that my name may be declared throughout all the earth.
- Exodus 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
- Deuteronomy 4:37 And because he loved thy fathers, therefore he chose their seed after them, and brought thee out in his sight with his mighty power out of Egypt;
- Deuteronomy 7:7-8 The LORD did not set his love upon you, nor choose you, because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people: 8 But because the LORD loved you, and because he would keep the oath which he had sworn unto your fathers, hath the LORD brought you out with a mighty hand, and redeemed you out of the house of bondmen, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt.
- Deuteronomy 10:15 Only the LORD had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day.
- Also Deuteronomy 32:8; Joshua 11:20; 1 Samuel 12:22; 1 Kings 12:15; 20:42; 2 Kings 19:25; 2 Chronicles 6:6; Job 23:13-14; Psalm 33:12; 65:4; 78:67-68,70-72; 105:17-22; 135:4; Proverbs 16:4; Isaiah 44:1-2,7; Jeremiah 1:4-5; Malachi 1:2-3; Matthew 11:25-26; 20:16,23; 22:14; 24:22,40-41; 25:34; 26:24; Mark 13:20,22; 14:21; Luke 4:25-27; 8:10; 10:20; 17:34-36; 18:7; 22:22; John 6:37,39,44-45; 15:16,19; 17:2,6,9; 21:23; Acts 1:7; 2:23,39,47; 3:18; 4:28; 13:48; 17:26; 22:14; Romans 1:6; 8:28-30,33; 9:7-33; 11:5,7-8; 1 Corinthians 1:26-29; 2:7; Galatians 1:15; Ephesians 1:4-5,9-11; 2:10; 3:11; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; 2:12; 2 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 1:1-2; James 1:18; 1 Peter 1:2,20; 2 Peter 1:10; Jude 4; Revelation 13:8.
In the destruction of
- 1 Samuel 2:25 If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.
- Joshua 11:20 For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the LORD commanded Moses.
- Judges 14:4 But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the LORD, that he sought an occasion against the Philistines: for at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.
- 2 Chronicles 22:7 And the destruction of Ahaziah was of God by coming to Joram: for when he was come, he went out with Jehoram against Jehu the son of Nimshi, whom the LORD had anointed to cut off the house of Ahab.
Amaziah and the idolatrous Jews
- 2 Chronicles 25:20 But Amaziah would not hear; for it came of God, that he might deliver them into the hand of their enemies, because they sought after the gods of Edom.
In the covenant with Abraham to have posterity
- Genesis 21:12 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
- Nehemiah 9:7-8 Thou art the LORD the God, who didst choose Abram, and broughtest him forth out of Ur of the Chaldees, and gavest him the name of Abraham; 8 And foundest his heart faithful before thee, and madest a covenant with him to give the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Jebusites, and the Girgashites, to give it, I say, to his seed, and hast performed thy words; for thou art righteous:
- Haggai 2:23 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the LORD, and will make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee, saith the LORD of hosts.
- John 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.
- John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
- Romans 9:12-13 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger. 13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
- Romans 16:13 Salute Rufus chosen in the Lord, and his mother and mine.
- Galatians 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,