Debt in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
- Exodus 22:25-27 If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury. 26 If thou at all take thy neighbour's raiment to pledge, thou shalt deliver it unto him by that the sun goeth down: 27 For that is his covering only, it is his raiment for his skin: wherein shall he sleep? and it shall come to pass, when he crieth unto me, that I will hear; for I am gracious.
- Deuteronomy 24:6 No man shall take the nether or the upper millstone to pledge: for he taketh a man's life to pledge.
- Deuteronomy 24:10-13 When thou dost lend thy brother any thing, thou shalt not go into his house to fetch his pledge. 11 Thou shalt stand abroad, and the man to whom thou dost lend shall bring out the pledge abroad unto thee. 12 And if the man be poor, thou shalt not sleep with his pledge: 13 In any case thou shalt deliver him the pledge again when the sun goeth down, that he may sleep in his own raiment, and bless thee: and it shall be righteousness unto thee before the LORD thy God.
- Nehemiah 5:3-4 Some also there were that said, We have mortgaged our lands, vineyards, and houses, that we might buy corn, because of the dearth. 4 There were also that said, We have borrowed money for the king's tribute, and that upon our lands and vineyards.
- Job 22:6 For thou hast taken a pledge from thy brother for nought, and stripped the naked of their clothing.
- Job 24:9 They pluck the fatherless from the breast, and take a pledge of the poor.
- Proverbs 11:15 He that is surety for a stranger shall smart for it: and he that hateth suretiship is sure.
- Proverbs 22:26 Be not thou one of them that strike hands, or of them that are sureties for debts.
- Amos 2:8 And they lay themselves down upon clothes laid to pledge by every altar, and they drink the wine of the condemned in the house of their god.