Surety (Guarantee) in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Genesis 44:32 For thy servant became surety for the lad unto my father, saying, If I bring him not unto thee, then I shall bear the blame to my father for ever.
- Exodus 22:26-27 If thou at all take thy neighbour's raiment to pledge, thou shalt deliver it unto him by that the sun goeth down: 27 For that is his covering only, it is his raiment for his skin: wherein shall he sleep? and it shall come to pass, when he crieth unto me, that I will hear; for I am gracious.
- Deuteronomy 24:10-13 When thou dost lend thy brother any thing, thou shalt not go into his house to fetch his pledge. 11 Thou shalt stand abroad, and the man to whom thou dost lend shall bring out the pledge abroad unto thee. 12 And if the man be poor, thou shalt not sleep with his pledge: 13 In any case thou shalt deliver him the pledge again when the sun goeth down, that he may sleep in his own raiment, and bless thee: and it shall be righteousness unto thee before the LORD thy God.
- Proverbs 6:1-5 My son, if thou be surety for thy friend, if thou hast stricken thy hand with a stranger, 2 Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth. 3 Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself, when thou art come into the hand of thy friend; go, humble thyself, and make sure thy friend. 4 Give not sleep to thine eyes, nor slumber to thine eyelids. ...
- Proverbs 11:15 He that is surety for a stranger shall smart for it: and he that hateth suretiship is sure.
- Proverbs 17:18 A man void of understanding striketh hands, and becometh surety in the presence of his friend.
- Proverbs 20:16 Take his garment that is surety for a stranger: and take a pledge of him for a strange woman.
- Proverbs 22:26 Be not thou one of them that strike hands, or of them that are sureties for debts.
- Proverbs 27:13 Take his garment that is surety for a stranger, and take a pledge of him for a strange woman.
- Ezekiel 18:7 And hath not oppressed any, but hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment;
- Ezekiel 18:12 Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed abomination,
- Ezekiel 33:15 If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
- Also Amos 2:8.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for SURETY.
⇒Definition of surety
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Surety.