Beer-sheba in the Bible
1. The most southern city of Palestine
- Judges 20:1 Then all the children of Israel went out, and the congregation was gathered together as one man, from Dan even to Beersheba, with the land of Gilead, unto the LORD in Mizpeh.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for BEERSHEBA.
Named by Abraham, who lived there
- Genesis 21:31-33 Wherefore he called that place Beersheba; because there they sware both of them. 32 Thus they made a covenant at Beersheba: then Abimelech rose up, and Phichol the chief captain of his host, and they returned into the land of the Philistines. 33 And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God.
- Genesis 22:19 So Abraham returned unto his young men, and they rose up and went together to Beersheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Beersheba.
The place where Isaac lived
- Genesis 26:23 And he went up from thence to Beersheba.
Jacob went out from, toward Haran
- Genesis 28:10 And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran.
Sacrifices offered at, by Jacob; when journeying to Egypt
- Genesis 46:1 And Israel took his journey with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices unto the God of his father Isaac.
In the inheritance of Judah
- Joshua 15:20 This is the inheritance of the tribe of the children of Judah according to their families.
- Joshua 15:28 And Hazarshual, and Beersheba, and Bizjothjah,
- 2 Samuel 24:7 And came to the strong hold of Tyre, and to all the cities of the Hivites, and of the Canaanites: and they went out to the south of Judah, even to Beersheba.
Afterward assigned to Simeon
- Joshua 19:2 And they had in their inheritance Beersheba, or Sheba, and Moladah,
- Joshua 19:9 Out of the portion of the children of Judah was the inheritance of the children of Simeon: for the part of the children of Judah was too much for them: therefore the children of Simeon had their inheritance within the inheritance of them.
- 1 Chronicles 4:28 And they dwelt at Beersheba, and Moladah, and Hazarshual,
Two sons of Samuel were judges at
- 1 Samuel 8:2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel; and the name of his second, Abiah: they were judges in Beersheba.
Became a seat of idolatrous worship
- Amos 5:5 But seek not Bethel, nor enter into Gilgal, and pass not to Beersheba: for Gilgal shall surely go into captivity, and Bethel shall come to nought.
- Amos 8:14 They that swear by the sin of Samaria, and say, Thy god, O Dan, liveth; and, The manner of Beersheba liveth; even they shall fall, and never rise up again.
2. The well of, belonged to Abraham and Isaac
- Genesis 21:25-26 And Abraham reproved Abimelech because of a well of water, which Abimelech's servants had violently taken away. 26 And Abimelech said, I wot not who hath done this thing: neither didst thou tell me, neither yet heard I of it, but to day.
3. Wilderness of, Hagar miraculously sees a well in
- Genesis 21:14-19 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba. 15 And the water was spent in the bottle, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs. 16 And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat over against him, and lift up her voice, and wept. 17 And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is. ...
An angel fed Elijah in
- 1 Kings 19:5 And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat.
- 1 Kings 19:7 And the angel of the LORD came again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise and eat; because the journey is too great for thee.