Pride in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Exodus 18:10-11 And Jethro said, Blessed be the LORD, who hath delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of Pharaoh, who hath delivered the people from under the hand of the Egyptians. 11 Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods: for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.
- Leviticus 26:19 And I will break the pride of your power; and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass:
- Deuteronomy 8:11-14 Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day: 12 Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein; 13 And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied; 14 Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;
- Deuteronomy 8:17-20 And thou say in thine heart, My power and the might of mine hand hath gotten me this wealth. 18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day. 19 And it shall be, if thou do at all forget the LORD thy God, and walk after other gods, and serve them, and worship them, I testify against you this day that ye shall surely perish. 20 As the nations which the LORD destroyeth before your face, so shall ye perish; because ye would not be obedient unto the voice of the LORD your God.
- Judges 9:14-15 Then said all the trees unto the bramble, Come thou, and reign over us. 15 And the bramble said unto the trees, If in truth ye anoint me king over you, then come and put your trust in my shadow: and if not, let fire come out of the bramble, and devour the cedars of Lebanon.
- Also 1 Samuel 2:3-5; 1 Kings 20:11; 2 Kings 14:9-10; 2 Chronicles 25:18-19; Job 11:12; 12:2-3; 13:2,5; 15:1-13; 18:3; 21:31-32; 32:9-13; 37:24; Psalms 9:20; 10:2-6,11; 12:4; 18:27; 31:23; 49:11; 52:7; 73:6,8-9; 75:4-6; 101:5; 119:21,69-70,78; 138:6; Proverbs 3:34; 6:16-17; 8:13; 10:17; 11:2,12; 12:9,15; 13:10; 14:21; 15:5,10,12,25,32; 16:5,18-19; 17:19; 18:11-12; 20:6; 21:4,24; 25:14,27; 26:5,12,16; 27:2; 28:11,25; 29:8,23; 30:12-13; Isaiah 2:11-17; 3:16-26; 5:8,15; 9:9-10; 10:5-16; 13:11; 14:12-16; 16:6-7; 22:16,19; 23:7,9; 24:4,21; 26:5; 28:3; 47:4-10; Jeremiah 9:23-24; 13:9,15,17; 48:7,14-15,29; 49:4,16; 50:31-32; Ezekiel 16:56; 28:2-9,17; 30:6; 31:10-14; Daniel 4:37; 11:45; Hosea 5:5; 7:10; 10:11; Obadiah 1:3-4; Nahum 3:19; Habakkuk 2:4-5,9; Zephaniah 2:10,15; 3:11; Malachi 4:1; Matthew 20:26-27; 23:6-8,10-12; Mark 7:21; 10:43; 12:38-39; Luke 1:51-52; 9:46; 11:43; 14:8-9; 18:14; 20:45-47; Romans 1:22,29-30; 11:17-21,25; 12:3,16; 1 Corinthians 1:29; 3:18; 4:6-8,10; 5:2,6; 8:1-2; 10:12; 13:4; 14:38; 2 Corinthians 10:5,12,18; 12:7; Galatians 6:3; Ephesians 4:17; Philippians 2:3; 1 Timothy 2:9; 3:6; 6:3-4,17; 2 Timothy 3:2,4; James 3:1; 4:6; 1 Peter 5:3,5; 1 John 2:16; Revelation 3:17-18; 18:7-8.
See RICH, THE
- 2 Samuel 17:23 And when Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled his ass, and arose, and gat him home to his house, to his city, and put his household in order, and hanged himself, and died, and was buried in the sepulchre of his father.
Naaman, refusing to wash in the Jordan River
- 2 Kings 5:11-13 But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said, Behold, I thought, He will surely come out to me, and stand, and call on the name of the LORD his God, and strike his hand over the place, and recover the leper. 12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? may I not wash in them, and be clean? So he turned and went away in a rage. 13 And his servants came near, and spake unto him, and said, My father, if the prophet had bid thee do some great thing, wouldest thou not have done it? how much rather then, when he saith to thee, Wash, and be clean?
Hezekiah, in displaying his resources
- 2 Kings 20:13 And Hezekiah hearkened unto them, and shewed them all the house of his precious things, the silver, and the gold, and the spices, and the precious ointment, and all the house of his armour, and all that was found in his treasures: there was nothing in his house, nor in all his dominion, that Hezekiah shewed them not.
- 2 Chronicles 32:31 Howbeit in the business of the ambassadors of the princes of Babylon, who sent unto him to inquire of the wonder that was done in the land, God left him, to try him, that he might know all that was in his heart.
- Isaiah 39:2 And Hezekiah was glad of them, and shewed them the house of his precious things, the silver, and the gold, and the spices, and the precious ointment, and all the house of his armour, and all that was found in his treasures: there was nothing in his house, nor in all his dominion, that Hezekiah shewed them not.
- 2 Chronicles 26:16-19 But when he was strong, his heart was lifted up to his destruction: for he transgressed against the LORD his God, and went into the temple of the LORD to burn incense upon the altar of incense. 17 And Azariah the priest went in after him, and with him fourscore priests of the LORD, that were valiant men: 18 And they withstood Uzziah the king, and said unto him, It appertaineth not unto thee, Uzziah, to burn incense unto the LORD, but to the priests the sons of Aaron, that are consecrated to burn incense: go out of the sanctuary; for thou hast trespassed; neither shall it be for thine honour from the LORD God. 19 Then Uzziah was wroth, and had a censer in his hand to burn incense: and while he was wroth with the priests, the leprosy even rose up in his forehead before the priests in the house of the LORD, from beside the incense altar.
- Esther 3:5 And when Haman saw that Mordecai bowed not, nor did him reverence, then was Haman full of wrath.
- Esther 5:11 And Haman told them of the glory of his riches, and the multitude of his children, and all the things wherein the king had promoted him, and how he had advanced him above the princes and servants of the king.
- Esther 5:13 Yet all this availeth me nothing, so long as I see Mordecai the Jew sitting at the king's gate.
- Esther 6:6 So Haman came in. And the king said unto him, What shall be done unto the man whom the king delighteth to honour? Now Haman thought in his heart, To whom would the king delight to do honour more than to myself?
- Esther 7:10 So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai. Then was the king's wrath pacified.
Kings of Tyre
- Ezekiel 28:2 Son of man, say unto the prince of Tyrus, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Because thine heart is lifted up, and thou hast said, I am a God, I sit in the seat of God, in the midst of the seas; yet thou art a man, and not God, though thou set thine heart as the heart of God:
- Daniel 4:30-34 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty? 31 While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee. 32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will. 33 The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles' feathers, and his nails like birds' claws. ...
- Daniel 5:20 But when his heart was lifted up, and his mind hardened in pride, he was deposed from his kingly throne, and they took his glory from him: