Perseverance in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- 1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.
- Job 17:9 The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.
- Psalms 37:24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.
- Psalms 37:28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.
- Psalms 73:24 Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.
- Psalms 138:8 The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.
- Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
- Jeremiah 32:40 And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.
- Hosea 12:6 Therefore turn thou to thy God: keep mercy and judgment, and wait on thy God continually.
- Matthew 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
- Matthew 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
- Mark 4:3-8 Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow: 4 And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up. 5 And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth: 6 But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. ...
- Mark 13:13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
- Luke 10:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
- Luke 22:31-32 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
- John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
- John 6:39-40 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. 40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
- John 8:31-32 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
- John 10:28-29 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. 29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
- John 15:4-5 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
- John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
- John 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
- Acts 11:23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
- Acts 13:43 Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
- Acts 14:21-22 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch, 22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
- Also Romans 2:6-7; 8:30,33-35,37-39; 11:29; 1 Corinthians 1:8-9; 15:1-2,58; 16:13; 2 Corinthians 1:21-22; 5:9,15; Galatians 5:1,10; 6:9; Ephesians 4:14; 6:13,18; Philippians 1:6,27; 3:16; 4:1; Colossians 1:10,22-23; 2:7; 1 Thessalonians 3:8,13; 5:21; 2 Thessalonians 2:15-17; 3:13; 2 Timothy 1:12-13; 2:1,3,12; 3:14; 4:18; Titus 1:9; Hebrews 2:1; 3:5-6,14; 4:14; 6:1,11-12,15,17-18; 10:23,35-36; 12:1-15; 13:9,13; James 1:4,12,25; 5:10-11; 1 Peter 1:4-7; 5:8; 2 Peter 1:10-11; 3:17-18; 1 John 2:19,27; Revelation 2:7,10-11,17,25-28; 3:5,11-12,21; 14:12; 16:15; 21:7-8; 22:11.
Jacob, in prayer
- Genesis 32:24-26 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. 26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
Caleb and Joshua, in representing the land of promise
- Numbers 14:24 But my servant Caleb, because he had another spirit with him, and hath followed me fully, him will I bring into the land whereinto he went; and his seed shall possess it.
- Numbers 14:38 But Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the son of Jephunneh, which were of the men that went to search the land, lived still.