Magistrate in the Bible
An officer of civil law
- Judges 18:7 Then the five men departed, and came to Laish, and saw the people that were therein, how they dwelt careless, after the manner of the Zidonians, quiet and secure; and there was no magistrate in the land, that might put them to shame in any thing; and they were far from the Zidonians, and had no business with any man.
- Ezra 7:25 And thou, Ezra, after the wisdom of thy God, that is in thine hand, set magistrates and judges, which may judge all the people that are beyond the river, all such as know the laws of thy God; and teach ye them that know them not.
- Luke 12:11 And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say:
- Luke 12:58 When thou goest with thine adversary to the magistrate, as thou art in the way, give diligence that thou mayest be delivered from him; lest he hale thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and the officer cast thee into prison.
- Acts 16:20 And brought them to the magistrates, saying, These men, being Jews, do exceedingly trouble our city,
- Acts 16:22 And the multitude rose up together against them: and the magistrates rent off their clothes, and commanded to beat them.
- Acts 16:35 And when it was day, the magistrates sent the serjeants, saying, Let those men go.
- Acts 16:38 And the serjeants told these words unto the magistrates: and they feared, when they heard that they were Romans.
Obedience to, enjoined
- Titus 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,