Government in the Bible
Paternal functions of
- Genesis 41:25-57 And Joseph said unto Pharaoh, The dream of Pharaoh is one: God hath shewed Pharaoh what he is about to do. 26 The seven good kine are seven years; and the seven good ears are seven years: the dream is one. 27 And the seven thin and ill favoured kine that came up after them are seven years; and the seven empty ears blasted with the east wind shall be seven years of famine. 28 This is the thing which I have spoken unto Pharaoh: What God is about to do he sheweth unto Pharaoh. ...
Civil service school provided by
- Daniel 1:3-20 And the king spake unto Ashpenaz the master of his eunuchs, that he should bring certain of the children of Israel, and of the king's seed, and of the princes; 4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans. 5 And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king's meat, and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the end thereof they might stand before the king. 6 Now among these were of the children of Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: ...
Maintains of public instruction
- 2 Chronicles 17:7-9 Also in the third year of his reign he sent to his princes, even to Benhail, and to Obadiah, and to Zechariah, and to Nethaneel, and to Michaiah, to teach in the cities of Judah. 8 And with them he sent Levites, even Shemaiah, and Nethaniah, and Zebadiah, and Asahel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehonathan, and Adonijah, and Tobijah, and Tobadonijah, Levites; and with them Elishama and Jehoram, priests. 9 And they taught in Judah, and had the book of the law of the LORD with them, and went about throughout all the cities of Judah, and taught the people.
Executive departments in See CABINET
Judicial department in See COURT
ADMINISTRATIVE AND JUDICIAL SYSTEM
- Exodus 18:13-26 And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses sat to judge the people: and the people stood by Moses from the morning unto the evening. 14 And when Moses' father in law saw all that he did to the people, he said, What is this thing that thou doest to the people? why sittest thou thyself alone, and all the people stand by thee from morning unto even? 15 And Moses said unto his father in law, Because the people come unto me to inquire of God: 16 When they have a matter, they come unto me; and I judge between one and another, and I do make them know the statutes of God, and his laws. ...
- Also Numbers 11:16-17,24-25; Deuteronomy 1:9-17.
POPULAR, BY A NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OR ITS REPRESENTATIVES
Accepted, and agreed to, the law given by Moses
- Exodus 19:7-8 And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him. 8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.
- Also Exodus 24:3,7; Deuteronomy 29:10-15.
Refused to make conquest of Canaan
- Numbers 14:1-10 And all the congregation lifted up their voice, and cried; and the people wept that night. 2 And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron: and the whole congregation said unto them, Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt! or would God we had died in this wilderness! 3 And wherefore hath the LORD brought us unto this land, to fall by the sword, that our wives and our children should be a prey? were it not better for us to return into Egypt? 4 And they said one to another, Let us make a captain, and let us return into Egypt. ...
Chose, or ratified, the chief ruler
- Numbers 27:18-23 And the LORD said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him; 19 And set him before Eleazar the priest, and before all the congregation; and give him a charge in their sight. 20 And thou shalt put some of thine honour upon him, that all the congregation of the children of Israel may be obedient. 21 And he shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall ask counsel for him after the judgment of Urim before the LORD: at his word shall they go out, and at his word they shall come in, both he, and all the children of Israel with him, even all the congregation. ...
- Also 1 Samuel 10:24; 8:4-22; 11:14-15; 2 Samuel 3:17-21; 5:1-3; 1 Chronicles 29:22; 2 Chronicles 23:3.
Possessed veto power over the king's purposes
- 1 Samuel 14:44-45 And Saul answered, God do so and more also: for thou shalt surely die, Jonathan. 45 And the people said unto Saul, Shall Jonathan die, who hath wrought this great salvation in Israel? God forbid: as the LORD liveth, there shall not one hair of his head fall to the ground; for he hath wrought with God this day. So the people rescued Jonathan, that he died not.
The court in certain capital cases
- Numbers 35:12 And they shall be unto you cities for refuge from the avenger; that the manslayer die not, until he stand before the congregation in judgment.
- Also Numbers 35:24-25.
THE DELEGATED, SENATORIAL COUNCIL
Closely associated with Moses and subsequent leaders
- Exodus 3:16 Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:
- Also Exodus 3:18; 4:29-31; 12:21; 17:5-6; 18:12; 19:7-8; 24:1,14; Leviticus 4:15; 9:1; Numbers 11:16-18,30; 16:25; Deuteronomy 1:13-15; 5:23; 27:1; 29:10-15; 31:9,28; Joshua 7:6; 8:10,32-33; 23:2-3,6; 24:1,24-25; Judges 21:16-25; Acts 5:17-18,21-41.
MISCELLANY OF FACTS RELATING TO THE SENATE
Demands a king
- 1 Samuel 8:4-10 Then all the elders of Israel gathered themselves together, and came to Samuel unto Ramah, 5 And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations. 6 But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the LORD. 7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them. ...
- Also 1 Samuel 8:19-22.
Saul pleads to be honored before
- 1 Samuel 15:30 Then he said, I have sinned: yet honour me now, I pray thee, before the elders of my people, and before Israel, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD thy God.
Chooses David as king
- 2 Samuel 3:17-21 And Abner had communication with the elders of Israel, saying, Ye sought for David in times past to be king over you: 18 Now then do it: for the LORD hath spoken of David, saying, By the hand of my servant David I will save my people Israel out of the hand of the Philistines, and out of the hand of all their enemies. 19 And Abner also spake in the ears of Benjamin: and Abner went also to speak in the ears of David in Hebron all that seemed good to Israel, and that seemed good to the whole house of Benjamin. 20 So Abner came to David to Hebron, and twenty men with him. And David made Abner and the men that were with him a feast. ...
- Also 2 Samuel 5:3; 1 Chronicles 11:3.
Closely associated with David
- 2 Samuel 12:17 And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them.
- Also 1 Chronicles 15:25; 21:16.
Joins Absalom in his usurpation
- 2 Samuel 17:4 And the saying pleased Absalom well, and all the elders of Israel.
- 2 Samuel 19:11 And king David sent to Zadok and to Abiathar the priests, saying, Speak unto the elders of Judah, saying, Why are ye the last to bring the king back to his house? seeing the speech of all Israel is come to the king, even to his house.
Assists Solomon at the dedication of the temple
- 1 Kings 8:1-3 Then Solomon assembled the elders of Israel, and all the heads of the tribes, the chief of the fathers of the children of Israel, unto king Solomon in Jerusalem, that they might bring up the ark of the covenant of the LORD out of the city of David, which is Zion. 2 And all the men of Israel assembled themselves unto king Solomon at the feast in the month Ethanim, which is the seventh month. 3 And all the elders of Israel came, and the priests took up the ark.
- Also 2 Chronicles 5:2-4.
Counsels king Rehoboam
- 1 Kings 12:6-8 And king Rehoboam consulted with the old men, that stood before Solomon his father while he yet lived, and said, How do ye advise that I may answer this people? 7 And they spake unto him, saying, If thou wilt be a servant unto this people this day, and wilt serve them, and answer them, and speak good words to them, then they will be thy servants for ever. 8 But he forsook the counsel of the old men, which they had given him, and consulted with the young men that were grown up with him, and which stood before him:
- Also 1 Kings 12:13.
Counsels king Ahab
- 1 Kings 20:7-8 Then the king of Israel called all the elders of the land, and said, Mark, I pray you, and see how this man seeketh mischief: for he sent unto me for my wives, and for my children, and for my silver, and for my gold; and I denied him not. 8 And all the elders and all the people said unto him, Hearken not unto him, nor consent.
Josiah assembles to hear the law of the Lord
- 2 Kings 23:1 And the king sent, and they gathered unto him all the elders of Judah and of Jerusalem.
- Also 2 Chronicles 34:29,31.
Legislates with Ezra in reforming certain marriages with the heathen
- Ezra 9:1 Now when these things were done, the princes came to me, saying, The people of Israel, and the priests, and the Levites, have not separated themselves from the people of the lands, doing according to their abominations, even of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Jebusites, the Ammonites, the Moabites, the Egyptians, and the Amorites.
- Also Ezra 10:8-14.
Legislates in later times
- Matthew 15:2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.
- Also Matthew 15:7-9; Mark 7:1-3.
Sits as a court
- Jeremiah 26:10-24 When the princes of Judah heard these things, then they came up from the king's house unto the house of the LORD, and sat down in the entry of the new gate of the LORD'S house. 11 Then spake the priests and the prophets unto the princes and to all the people, saying, This man is worthy to die; for he hath prophesied against this city, as ye have heard with your ears. 12 Then spake Jeremiah unto all the princes and to all the people, saying, The LORD sent me to prophesy against this house and against this city all the words that ye have heard. 13 Therefore now amend your ways and your doings, and obey the voice of the LORD your God; and the LORD will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you. ...
Constitutes, with priests and scribes, a court for the trial of both civil and ecclesiastical causes
- Matthew 21:23 And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
- Also Matthew 26:3-5,57-68; 27:1-2; Mark 8:31; 14:43-65; 15:1; Luke 22:52-71; Acts 4:1-21; 6:9-15; 7:1-59.
Unfaithful to the city
- Lamentations 1:19 I called for my lovers, but they deceived me: my priests and mine elders gave up the ghost in the city, while they sought their meat to relieve their souls.
Seeks counsel from prophets
- Ezekiel 8:1 And it came to pass in the sixth year, in the sixth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I sat in mine house, and the elders of Judah sat before me, that the hand of the Lord GOD fell there upon me.
- Also Ezekiel 14:1; 20:1,3; Joel 1:14; 2:16.
- 1 Kings 21:8-14 So she wrote letters in Ahab's name, and sealed them with his seal, and sent the letters unto the elders and to the nobles that were in his city, dwelling with Naboth. 9 And she wrote in the letters, saying, Proclaim a fast, and set Naboth on high among the people: 10 And set two men, sons of Belial, before him, to bear witness against him, saying, Thou didst blaspheme God and the king. And then carry him out, and stone him, that he may die. 11 And the men of his city, even the elders and the nobles who were the inhabitants in his city, did as Jezebel had sent unto them, and as it was written in the letters which she had sent unto them. ...
- Also Ezekiel 8:11-12; Matthew 26:14-15; 27:3-4.
A similar senate existed
Among the Egyptians
- Genesis 50:7 And Joseph went up to bury his father: and with him went up all the servants of Pharaoh, the elders of his house, and all the elders of the land of Egypt,
- Also Genesis 41:37-38; Exodus 10:1,7; 12:30; 14:5.
Among the Midianites and Moabites
- Numbers 22:4 And Moab said unto the elders of Midian, Now shall this company lick up all that are round about us, as the ox licketh up the grass of the field. And Balak the son of Zippor was king of the Moabites at that time.
- Also Numbers 22:7.
Among the Gibeonites
- Joshua 9:11 Wherefore our elders and all the inhabitants of our country spake to us, saying, Take victuals with you for the journey, and go to meet them, and say unto them, We are your servants: therefore now make ye a league with us.
EXECUTIVE OFFICERS OF TRIBES AND CITIES, CALLED PRINCES OR NOBLES, MEMBERS OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
- Numbers 1:4-16 And with you there shall be a man of every tribe; every one head of the house of his fathers. 5 And these are the names of the men that shall stand with you: of the tribe of Reuben; Elizur the son of Shedeur. 6 Of Simeon; Shelumiel the son of Zurishaddai. 7 Of Judah; Nahshon the son of Amminadab. ...
- Also Numbers 1:44; 7:2-3,10-11,18,24,54,84; 10:4; 16:2; 17:2,6; 27:2; 31:13-14; 32:2; 34:18-29; 36:1; Joshua 9:15-21; 17:4; 22:13-32; 1 Kings 21:11-13; Nehemiah 3:9,12,16,18-19.
THE MOSAIC JUDICIAL SYSTEM
Forms and facts of government after the death of Moses and the princes who survived Moses
Under these sub-topics
- Genesis 14:1 And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations;
- Also Joshua 11:10; Esther 1:1; Daniel 4:1; 6:1-3; Luke 2:1.
Tyranny in, instances of
- 1 Samuel 22:6 When Saul heard that David was discovered, and the men that were with him, (now Saul abode in Gibeah under a tree in Ramah, having his spear in his hand, and all his servants were standing about him;)
- Also 1 Samuel 22:12-19.
- 2 Samuel 1:13-16 And David said unto the young man that told him, Whence art thou? And he answered, I am the son of a stranger, an Amalekite. 14 And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD'S anointed? 15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him. And he smote him that he died. 16 And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the LORD'S anointed.
- Also 2 Samuel 4:9-12; 11:14-17.
- 1 Kings 2:23-25 Then king Solomon sware by the LORD, saying, God do so to me, and more also, if Adonijah have not spoken this word against his own life. 24 Now therefore, as the LORD liveth, which hath established me, and set me on the throne of David my father, and who hath made me an house, as he promised, Adonijah shall be put to death this day. 25 And king Solomon sent by the hand of Benaiah the son of Jehoiada; and he fell upon him that he died.
- Also 1 Kings 2:28-34,36-46; 12:1-16; 21:7-16; 2 Kings 10.
- Esther 2 After these things, when the wrath of king Ahasuerus was appeased, he remembered Vashti, and what she had done, and what was decreed against her. 2 Then said the king's servants that ministered unto him, Let there be fair young virgins sought for the king: 3 And let the king appoint officers in all the provinces of his kingdom, that they may gather together all the fair young virgins unto Shushan the palace, to the house of the women, unto the custody of Hege the king's chamberlain, keeper of the women; and let their things for purification be given them: 4 And let the maiden which pleaseth the king be queen instead of Vashti. And the thing pleased the king; and he did so. ...
- Also Esther 3.
- Daniel 1:10 And the prince of the eunuchs said unto Daniel, I fear my lord the king, who hath appointed your meat and your drink: for why should he see your faces worse liking than the children which are of your sort? then shall ye make me endanger my head to the king.
- Also Daniel 2:5-13; 5:19.
- Mark 6:27-28 And immediately the king sent an executioner, and commanded his head to be brought: and he went and beheaded him in the prison, 28 And brought his head in a charger, and gave it to the damsel: and the damsel gave it to her mother.
Under these sub-topics
Also see ASSYRIA;
Devolving upon a local senate and executive officers
- Deuteronomy 19:12 Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.
- Also Deuteronomy 21:2-8,18-21; 22:13-21; 25:7-9; Joshua 20:4; Judges 8:14-16; 11:5-11; Ruth 4:2-11; 1 Samuel 11:3; 16:4; 30:26; 1 Kings 21:8-14; 2 Kings 10:1-7; Ezra 10:8,14; Nehemiah 3:9,12,16,18-19; Lamentations 5:14.
- Ezra 4:8-9 Rehum the chancellor and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the king in this sort: 9 Then wrote Rehum the chancellor, and Shimshai the scribe, and the rest of their companions; the Dinaites, the Apharsathchites, the Tarpelites, the Apharsites, the Archevites, the Babylonians, the Susanchites, the Dehavites, and the Elamites,
- Also Ezra 5:3,6; 6:6; 8:36; Nehemiah 2:7,9; 5:14; Daniel 6:1-3; Matthew 27:2; 28:14; Luke 3:1; Acts 24:1.
- Deuteronomy 1:13-15 Take you wise men, and understanding, and known among your tribes, and I will make them rulers over you. 14 And ye answered me, and said, The thing which thou hast spoken is good for us to do. 15 So I took the chief of your tribes, wise men, and known, and made them heads over you, captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, and captains over fifties, and captains over tens, and officers among your tribes.
- Also Joshua 9:11.
See DELEGATED, SENATORIAL COUNCIL, above
Also see ELDER
- Exodus 19:3-8 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel; 4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. 5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel. ...
- Also Deuteronomy 26:16-19; 29:1-13; 1 Samuel 8:6-7.
See GOVERNMENT, GOD IN, below
Also see RULERS
See CHURCH AND STATE
- 1 Kings 21:5-13 But Jezebel his wife came to him, and said unto him, Why is thy spirit so sad, that thou eatest no bread? 6 And he said unto her, Because I spake unto Naboth the Jezreelite, and said unto him, Give me thy vineyard for money; or else, if it please thee, I will give thee another vineyard for it: and he answered, I will not give thee my vineyard. 7 And Jezebel his wife said unto him, Dost thou now govern the kingdom of Israel? arise, and eat bread, and let thine heart be merry: I will give thee the vineyard of Naboth the Jezreelite. 8 So she wrote letters in Ahab's name, and sealed them with his seal, and sent the letters unto the elders and to the nobles that were in his city, dwelling with Naboth. ...
- Also Proverbs 25:5; Micah 3:1-4,9-11.
See COURT, CORRUPT
Pilate, in delivering Jesus to death in order to please the clamoring multitude
- John 19:12-16 And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar. 13 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha. 14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! 15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar. ...
- Also Matthew 27:24.
Felix, who expected money from Paul
- Acts 24:26 He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him.
DUTY OF CITIZENS TO
- Matthew 22:17-21 Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not? 18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said, Why tempt ye me, ye hypocrites? 19 Shew me the tribute money. And they brought unto him a penny. 20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? ...
- Also Luke 20:25; Romans 13:1-7; Titus 3:1; 1 Peter 2:13-17.
In appointment of Saul as king
- 1 Samuel 9:15-17 Now the LORD had told Samuel in his ear a day before Saul came, saying, 16 To morrow about this time I will send thee a man out of the land of Benjamin, and thou shalt anoint him to be captain over my people Israel, that he may save my people out of the hand of the Philistines: for I have looked upon my people, because their cry is come unto me. 17 And when Samuel saw Saul, the LORD said unto him, Behold the man whom I spake to thee of! this same shall reign over my people.
- Also 1 Samuel 10:1.
In Saul's rejection
- 1 Samuel 15:26-28 And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel. 27 And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent. 28 And Samuel said unto him, The LORD hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbour of thine, that is better than thou.
- Also Acts 13:22.
In the appointment of David
- 1 Samuel 16:1 And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.
- Also 1 Samuel 16:7,13; 2 Samuel 7:13-16; Psalms 89:19-37; Acts 13:22.
In counseling Solomon
- 1 Kings 9:2-9 That the LORD appeared to Solomon the second time, as he had appeared unto him at Gibeon. 3 And the LORD said unto him, I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication, that thou hast made before me: I have hallowed this house, which thou hast built, to put my name there for ever; and mine eyes and mine heart shall be there perpetually. 4 And if thou wilt walk before me, as David thy father walked, in integrity of heart, and in uprightness, to do according to all that I have commanded thee, and wilt keep my statutes and my judgments: 5 Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel. ...
In magnifying him
- 1 Chronicles 29:25 And the LORD magnified Solomon exceedingly in the sight of all Israel, and bestowed upon him such royal majesty as had not been on any king before him in Israel.
In denouncing Solomon's wickedness
- 1 Kings 11:9-13 And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice, 10 And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded. 11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. 12 Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son. ...
In raising adversaries against Solomon
- 1 Kings 11:14 And the LORD stirred up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite: he was of the king's seed in Edom.
- Also 1 Kings 11:23.
In dividing the Jewish nation into two different countries
- 1 Kings 11:13 Howbeit I will not rend away all the kingdom; but will give one tribe to thy son for David my servant's sake, and for Jerusalem's sake which I have chosen.
- Also 1 Kings 12:1-24; 2 Chronicles 10:15; 11:4; 22:7.
In blotting out the household of Jeroboam
- 1 Kings 14:7-16 Go, tell Jeroboam, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Forasmuch as I exalted thee from among the people, and made thee prince over my people Israel, 8 And rent the kingdom away from the house of David, and gave it thee: and yet thou hast not been as my servant David, who kept my commandments, and who followed me with all his heart, to do that only which was right in mine eyes; 9 But hast done evil above all that were before thee: for thou hast gone and made thee other gods, and molten images, to provoke me to anger, and hast cast me behind thy back: 10 Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel, and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone. ...
- Also 1 Kings 15:27-30.
In the appointment of kings
- 1 Kings 14:14 Moreover the LORD shall raise him up a king over Israel, who shall cut off the house of Jeroboam that day: but what? even now.
- Also 1 Kings 16:1-4; 1 Chronicles 28:4-5; 29:25; Psalms 22:28.
In the destruction of nations
- Amos 9:8 Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from off the face of the earth; saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the LORD.
See THEOCRATIC, above
Also see GOD, SOVEREIGN
UNCLASSIFIED SCRIPTURES RELATING TO GOD IN
- Psalms 22:28 For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations.
- Also Proverbs 8:15; Isaiah 9:6-7; Jeremiah 1:9-10; 18:6-10; 25:12-33; Ezekiel 21:25-27; 29:19-20; Daniel 2:20-21,37; 4:17; 5:18-28; 10:13; Hosea 8:4; Amos 9:8; Haggai 2:21-22; John 19:10-11.
See GOD, SOVERIGN