Afflictions and Adversities in the Bible
MISCELLANY OF MINOR SUB-TOPICS
God regulates the measure of afflictions
- Psalms 80:5 Thou feedest them with the bread of tears; and givest them tears to drink in great measure.
- Also Isaiah 9:1; Jeremiah 46:28.
Determines the continuance of
- Genesis 15:13-14 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; 14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
- Also Numbers 14:33; Isaiah 10:25; Jeremiah 29:10.
Does not willingly send
- Lamentations 3:33 For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.
Man is born to
- Job 5:6-7 Although affliction cometh not forth of the dust, neither doth trouble spring out of the ground; 7 Yet man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward.
- Also Job 14:1.
Saints appointed to
- 1 Thessalonians 3:3 That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto.
Consequent upon the fall
- Genesis 3:16-19 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. 17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
- Job 4:8 Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same.
- Also Job 20:11; Proverbs 1:31.
Sinners corrected by
- 2 Samuel 12:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.
- Also Psalms 89:30-32; Isaiah 57:17; Acts 13:10-11.
- Job 16:7-16 But now he hath made me weary: thou hast made desolate all my company. 8 And thou hast filled me with wrinkles, which is a witness against me: and my leanness rising up in me beareth witness to my face. 9 He teareth me in his wrath, who hateth me: he gnasheth upon me with his teeth; mine enemy sharpeneth his eyes upon me. 10 They have gaped upon me with their mouth; they have smitten me upon the cheek reproachfully; they have gathered themselves together against me. ...
- Also Psalms 42:7; 66:12; Jonah 2:3; Revelation 7:14.
Always less than deserved
- Ezra 9:13 And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this;
- Also Psalms 103:10.
Results of, good
- Genesis 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.
- Also Exodus 1:11-12; Deuteronomy 8:15-16; Jeremiah 24:5-6; Ezekiel 20:37.
Tempered with mercy
- Psalms 78:38-39 But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath. 39 For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again.
- Also Psalms 106:43-46; Isaiah 30:18-21; Lamentations 3:32; Micah 7:7-9; Nahum 1:12.
To be expected
- John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
- Also Acts 14:22.
- Acts 20:23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
- Also Acts 24; Romans 8:18; 2 Corinthians 4:17.
- Psalms 30:5 For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
- Also Psalms 103:9; Isaiah 54:7-8; John 16:20; 1 Peter 1:6; 5:10.
- Job 5:17 Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:
- Also James 5:11.
End in joy and blessedness
- Psalms 126:5-6 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. 6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
- Also Isaiah 61:2-3; Matthew 5:4; 1 Peter 4:13-14.
Often arise from the profession of the gospel
- Matthew 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
- Also John 15:21; 2 Timothy 3:11-12.
Exhibit the love and faithfulness of God
- Deuteronomy 8:5 Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so the LORD thy God chasteneth thee.
- Also Psalms 119:75; Proverbs 3:12; 1 Corinthians 11:32; Hebrews 12:6-7; Revelation 3:19.
OF THE WICKED
God is glorified in
- Exodus 14:4 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, that he shall follow after them; and I will be honoured upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host; that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD. And they did so.
- Also Ezekiel 38:22-23.
God holds in derision
- Psalms 37:13 The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.
- Also Proverbs 1:26-27.
- Deuteronomy 31:17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come upon us, because our God is not among us?
- Also Job 20:5; 21:17; Psalms 32:10.
- Job 15:20 The wicked man travaileth with pain all his days, and the number of years is hidden to the oppressor.
- Also Ecclesiastes 2:23; Isaiah 32:10.
- Psalms 73:19 How are they brought into desolation, as in a moment! they are utterly consumed with terrors.
- Also Proverbs 6:15; Isaiah 30:13; Revelation 18:10.
Are often judicially sent
- Job 21:17 How oft is the candle of the wicked put out! and how oft cometh their destruction upon them! God distributeth sorrows in his anger.
- Also Psalms 107:17; Jeremiah 30:15.
Are for examples to others
- Psalms 64:7-9 But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded. 8 So they shall make their own tongue to fall upon themselves: all that see them shall flee away. 9 And all men shall fear, and shall declare the work of God; for they shall wisely consider of his doing.
- Also Zephaniah 3:6-7; 1 Corinthians 10:5,11; 2 Peter 2:6.
Are ineffectual for their conversion
- Exodus 9:30 But as for thee and thy servants, I know that ye will not yet fear the LORD God.
- Also Isaiah 9:13; Jeremiah 2:30; Haggai 2:17.
Their persecution of saints, a cause of
- Deuteronomy 30:7 And the LORD thy God will put all these curses upon thine enemies, and on them that hate thee, which persecuted thee.
- Also Psalms 55:19; Zechariah 2:9; 2 Thessalonians 1:6.
Impenitence is a cause of
- Proverbs 1:30-31 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. 31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
- Also Ezekiel 24:13; Amos 4:6-12; Zechariah 7:11-12; Revelation 2:21; 22.
Sometimes humble them
- 1 Kings 21:27 And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly.
- Nehemiah 9:28-29 But after they had rest, they did evil again before thee: therefore leftest thou them in the hand of their enemies, so that they had the dominion over them: yet when they returned, and cried unto thee, thou heardest them from heaven; and many times didst thou deliver them according to thy mercies; 29 And testifiedst against them, that thou mightest bring them again unto thy law: yet they dealt proudly, and hearkened not unto thy commandments, but sinned against thy judgments, (which if a man do, he shall live in them;) and withdrew the shoulder, and hardened their neck, and would not hear.
- Also Jeremiah 5:3.
Produce slavish fear
- Job 15:24 Trouble and anguish shall make him afraid; they shall prevail against him, as a king ready to the battle.
- Also Psalms 73:19; Jeremiah 49:3,5.
Saints should not be alarmed at
- Proverbs 3:25-26 Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh. 26 For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.
In Pharaoh and the Egyptians
- Exodus 9:14-15 For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth. 15 For now I will stretch out my hand, that I may smite thee and thy people with pestilence; and thou shalt be cut off from the earth.
- Also Exodus 14:24-25.
- 2 Kings 1:1-4 Then Moab rebelled against Israel after the death of Ahab. 2 And Ahaziah fell down through a lattice in his upper chamber that was in Samaria, and was sick: and he sent messengers, and said unto them, Go, inquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron whether I shall recover of this disease. 3 But the angel of the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite, Arise, go up to meet the messengers of the king of Samaria, and say unto them, Is it not because there is not a God in Israel, that ye go to inquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron? 4 Now therefore thus saith the LORD, Thou shalt not come down from that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die. And Elijah departed.
- 2 Kings 5:27 The leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee, and unto thy seed for ever. And he went out from his presence a leper as white as snow.
- 2 Chronicles 21:12-19 And there came a writing to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, Thus saith the LORD God of David thy father, Because thou hast not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat thy father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah, 13 But hast walked in the way of the kings of Israel, and hast made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to go a whoring, like to the whoredoms of the house of Ahab, and also hast slain thy brethren of thy father's house, which were better than thyself: 14 Behold, with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people, and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods: 15 And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day. ...
- 2 Chronicles 26:19-21 Then Uzziah was wroth, and had a censer in his hand to burn incense: and while he was wroth with the priests, the leprosy even rose up in his forehead before the priests in the house of the LORD, from beside the incense altar. 20 And Azariah the chief priest, and all the priests, looked upon him, and, behold, he was leprous in his forehead, and they thrust him out from thence; yea, himself hasted also to go out, because the LORD had smitten him. 21 And Uzziah the king was a leper unto the day of his death, and dwelt in a several house, being a leper; for he was cut off from the house of the LORD: and Jotham his son was over the king's house, judging the people of the land.
- 2 Chronicles 28:5-8 Wherefore the LORD his God delivered him into the hand of the king of Syria; and they smote him, and carried away a great multitude of them captives, and brought them to Damascus. And he was also delivered into the hand of the king of Israel, who smote him with a great slaughter. 6 For Pekah the son of Remaliah slew in Judah an hundred and twenty thousand in one day, which were all valiant men; because they had forsaken the LORD God of their fathers. 7 And Zichri, a mighty man of Ephraim, slew Maaseiah the king's son, and Azrikam the governor of the house, and Elkanah that was next to the king. 8 And the children of Israel carried away captive of their brethren two hundred thousand, women, sons, and daughters, and took also away much spoil from them, and brought the spoil to Samaria.
- Also 2 Chronicles 28:22.
FORSAKEN BY FRIENDS IN: INSTANCES OF
- Job 2:9 Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die.
- Also Job 19:13-19.
- Psalms 31:11-12 I was a reproach among all mine enemies, but especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance: they that did see me without fled from me. 12 I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel.
- Also Psalms 41:9; 88:8,18.
- Matthew 26:56 But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.
- 2 Timothy 4:16 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge.
NATIONAL LESSONS FROM
- Joel 1 The word of the LORD that came to Joel the son of Pethuel. 2 Hear this, ye old men, and give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land. Hath this been in your days, or even in the days of your fathers? 3 Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation. 4 That which the palmerworm hath left hath the locust eaten; and that which the locust hath left hath the cankerworm eaten; and that which the cankerworm hath left hath the caterpiller eaten. ...
- Also Joel 2.
UNCLASSIFIED SCRIPTURES RELATING TO
- Genesis 3:16-17 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. 17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
- Also Deuteronomy 8:5; 2 Samuel 7:14; Job 3; 5:6-7,17-18; 6; 7:2-6; 9:18; 12:5; 14:1,22; 16:6-14; 17:7-16; 19:7-20; 23:10; 30:15-19; 33:19-22; 36:8-12,15; Psalms 6:6-7; 18:4-6; 31:9-13; 32:3-4; 39:1-4; 42:6-7; 55:4-8; 66:10-12; 69:1-3,20; 73:10; 77:2-4; 80:5-6; 88:3-18; 89:32; 90:10; 102:3-11; 107:4-5,10,17-19; 109:22-24; 116:3; 141:7; 143:3-4; Proverbs 3:11-12; 12:25; 13:12; 14:10,13; 15:13,15; 17:3,22; 18:14; Ecclesiastes 2:22-23; 7:2-4; Isaiah 1:6; 24:1-16; 26:16-17; 48:10; Lamentations 1:7,12; 3:1-36; Zechariah 13:9; Mark 9:49; John 15:2; 16:33; 2 Corinthians 1:8-9; 4:7-12,16-17; 6:4-10; 11:23-30; Hebrews 12:6-7,9; 1 Peter 5:9; Revelation 3:19.
- 1 Kings 8:33 When thy people Israel be smitten down before the enemy, because they have sinned against thee, and shall turn again to thee, and confess thy name, and pray, and make supplication unto thee in this house:
- Also 1 Kings 8:35,47-53; Deuteronomy 4:30-31; 30:1-2; 2 Chronicles 6:28-31; Job 5:6-11,17; 23:10; Psalms 94:12-13; Proverbs 3:11-12; Hebrews 12:5; Ecclesiastes 7:2-3; Isaiah 19:20,22; 26:9; 27:9; Jeremiah 2:27; 22:22-23; 31:19; Lamentations 3:27-28; Ezekiel 20:37,43; 6:9; Hosea 2:6-7; 5:15; Romans 5:3-4; 8:17,28; 2 Corinthians 4:17; Philippians 1:12-14,19; Hebrews 12:5; James 1:2-4,12; 1 Peter 1:7; 4:14.
BENEFITS OF, ILLUSTRATED
- Genesis 22:12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.
- Also Genesis 22:16-18; 32:11; 42:21; Exodus 9:27-28; 10:7,16-17; 12:31-33; Numbers 21:7; Judges 10:6-8,10; 1 Samuel 12:9-10; 1 Kings 13:1-10; 2 Chronicles 15:4; 33:12-13; Ezra 9:5-15; Nehemiah 9:32; Job 34:31-32; 40:1-5; Psalms 18:4-6; 66:10-12; 78:34-35; 119:67,71; Isaiah 26:16; Jeremiah 31:18-19; Lamentations 3:19-20; Hosea 6:1; Jonah 2; Luke 15:11-24; Acts 8:24.
- Genesis 42:21 And they said one to another, We are verily guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the anguish of his soul, when he besought us, and we would not hear; therefore is this distress come upon us.
- Genesis 45:5 Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life.
- Also Genesis 45:7-8.
- Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.
- Also Deuteronomy 8:5.
- 2 Kings 22:19 Because thine heart was tender, and thou hast humbled thyself before the LORD, when thou heardest what I spake against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and hast rent thy clothes, and wept before me; I also have heard thee, saith the LORD.
- 2 Chronicles 32:25-26 But Hezekiah rendered not again according to the benefit done unto him; for his heart was lifted up: therefore there was wrath upon him, and upon Judah and Jerusalem. 26 Notwithstanding Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart, both he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the LORD came not upon them in the days of Hezekiah.
- 2 Chronicles 33:12 And when he was in affliction, he besought the LORD his God, and humbled himself greatly before the God of his fathers,
- Jonah 2:7 When my soul fainted within me I remembered the LORD: and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.
- Luke 15:21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son.
- Genesis 21:17 And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.
- Also Genesis 16:7-13; 26:17,33; 31:42; Exodus 3:7-8,16-17; 14:13-14; Deuteronomy 33:27; 2 Samuel 22:28; Job 5:6-27; 11:16-19; 16:5; 29:25; 31:19-22; 35:10; Psalms 9:9-10; 23:4; 27:5-6; 30:5; 31:7; 34:4,19-20; 37:23-24,32-33; 41:3; 42:5; 46:1; 50:15; 55:22; 56:8-10; 62:1-2,5-8,11-12; 68:6; 69:20,33; 71:20; 73:26; 94:17-19; 103:13-14; 112:4; 119:50,52,54,92,143; 138:3,7-8; 140:12; 145:14; 147:3; Proverbs 12:13; Ecclesiastes 4:1; Isaiah 4:6; 14:31-32; 25:4; 30:19-20; 40:1-2,29; 41:10,13-14,17; 42:3; 43:2; 49:13; 50:4,7-10; 51:3-13; 54:4,11; 58:10; 61:1-3; 63:9; 66:5,13-14; Jeremiah 31:13,25; 39:17-18; Lamentations 3:31-33,57; Ezekiel 11:16; Hosea 2:14-15; 6:1-3; Nahum 1:7; Zephaniah 3:18; Matthew 5:4,10-12; 10:29-31; 11:28; 14:27; 25:34-36,40; 28:5,9-10; Mark 6:50; Luke 6:21-23; 7:13; 12:6-7; 21:18; John 14:1,16,18,27; 15:18,20; 16:20,22,33; Acts 12:5; 23:11; Romans 8:28,35-39; 12:12,15; 15:4; 2 Corinthians 1:3-5,7; 4:8-10,16-17; 7:6; 12:9; Galatians 6:2; Philippians 1:19; 1 Thessalonians 4:13,16-18; 2 Thessalonians 1:7; 2:16-17; 2 Timothy 2:12; 4:17; Hebrews 2:14-15,18; 4:15-16; 6:18; 12:1-4; 13:3,5-6; James 1:12,27; 5:8,10; 1 Peter 2:21-24; 4:12-14; 5:7; Revelation 2:9-10; 3:2,10; 7:14-17.
See PRAYER ANSWERED
- Deuteronomy 8:2 And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.
- Also Deuteronomy 8:16; 30:1-3; 31:17; Judges 2:21-22; 1 Kings 8:33-48; 2 Chronicles 6:24-31; 7:13-14; Job 33:11,16-30; 36:8-10; Psalms 66:10; 106:43-44; 107:10-14,17-21,23-31; 119:71; Ecclesiastes 7:14; Isaiah 1:25-27; 4:3-4; 9:13-14; 52:5-6; Jeremiah 24:5; Lamentations 1:5; Ezekiel 6:10; 14:10-11; Daniel 4:25-27,34; Hosea 5:15; Amos 4:6; Micah 6:9; Malachi 3:3; John 9:2-3; 11:4; 15:2; 21:19; 1 Corinthians 11:32; 2 Corinthians 1:4-6; 4:11,17; 12:7; Philippians 1:29-30; 2 Thessalonians 1:4-5; Hebrews 2:10-18; 5:8-9; 12:5-11; 1 Peter 1:6-7; 5:10; Revelation 2:10.
See BENEFITS OF, above
- Job 4:5 But now it is come upon thee, and thou faintest; it toucheth thee, and thou art troubled.
- Also Job 9:16-35; Psalms 22:1-2; Proverbs 24:10; Lamentations 3:39; Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34; Luke 18:1.
DISPENSATION OF GOD
- Exodus 4:11 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
- Also Deuteronomy 4:5-31; 28:15-68; 32:39; Ruth 1:20-21; 1 Samuel 2:6-7; 2 Samuel 16:10; 2 Kings 6:33; 15:5; 2 Chronicles 7:12-22; Job 1:21; 5:6,17-18; 6:4; 9:12,22; 10:8; 11:10; 12:14-25; 19:6,21; 21:17; 23:16; 27:2; 30:11; 34:29; Psalms 38:3; 66:11; 71:20; 78:31-34; 88:6-7,16; 89:38-45; 90:7,15; 102:10,23; Isaiah 30:20; 45:7; Jeremiah 45:3; Lamentations 1:5; 3:1; Daniel 4:24-26; Amos 3:6; Jonah 2:3; Micah 1:12; Romans 8:20; 1 Corinthians 11:32; Hebrews 12:10; Revelation 3:19.
- Job 1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. 2 And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters. 3 His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east. 4 And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them. ...
- Also Job 2; 2 Corinthians 12:7.
See IMPENITENCE IN
See OBDURACY IN, below
- Job 12:5 He that is ready to slip with his feet is as a lamp despised in the thought of him that is at ease.
- Also Proverbs 17:5.
- Leviticus 26:23-24 And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me; 24 Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins.
- Also Leviticus 26:27-28; Job 36:12-13; Psalms 78:31-32; Isaiah 8:21; 9:13; 22:12-13; 26:11; 42:25; 57:17; Jeremiah 2:30,35; 3:3; 5:3; 7:28; Daniel 9:13; Hosea 7:9-10,14; 9:17; Amos 4:6-11; Zephaniah 3:2,7; Haggai 2:17; Revelation 9:20-21; 16:9-11,21.
As a Judgment
- Exodus 8:19 Then the magicians said unto Pharaoh, This is the finger of God: and Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.
- Also Exodus 9:30-34; 14:5-9.
- 2 Chronicles 16:12 And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease he sought not to the LORD, but to the physicians.
- 2 Chronicles 28:22-23 And in the time of his distress did he trespass yet more against the LORD: this is that king Ahaz. 23 For he sacrificed unto the gods of Damascus, which smote him: and he said, Because the gods of the kings of Syria help them, therefore will I sacrifice to them, that they may help me. But they were the ruin of him, and of all Israel.
PENITENCE IN: INSTANCES OF
- Exodus 8:8 Then Pharaoh called for Moses and Aaron, and said, Intreat the LORD, that he may take away the frogs from me, and from my people; and I will let the people go, that they may do sacrifice unto the LORD.
- Also Exodus 9:27-30; 12:30-31; 14:5-9.
- 2 Samuel 12:15-16 And Nathan departed unto his house. And the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife bare unto David, and it was very sick. 16 David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.
- Also 2 Samuel 12:23.
- Daniel 4:28-37 All this came upon the king Nebuchadnezzar. 29 At the end of twelve months he walked in the palace of the kingdom of Babylon. 30 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty? 31 While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee. ...
- Nehemiah 9:33 Howbeit thou art just in all that is brought upon us; for thou hast done right, but we have done wickedly:
- Genesis 32:11 Deliver me, I pray thee, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau: for I fear him, lest he will come and smite me, and the mother with the children.
- Also Genesis 43:14; Exodus 17:4; Numbers 20:16; 1 Samuel 1:10-11; 2 Samuel 12:22; 15:31; 22:7; 1 Kings 8:36-50; 2 Kings 19:16,19; 1 Chronicles 5:20; 2 Chronicles 6:24-39; 14:11; 20:4-13; 33:12-13; Nehemiah 4:4-5,9; 6:9,14; 9:32; Job 10:2,9,15; 13:21; 16:20; Psalms 3:1-2,7; 4:1; 5:8; 6:1-7; 7:1-2,6-7; 9:13-14; 10:1,12-15; 13:1-4; 16:1; 17:1-2,6-9,13-14; 20:1-2; 22:1-21; 25:2,16-19,22; 27:11-12; 28:1; 30:9-10; 31:1-4,14-18; 35:1-3,17,19,22-23,25; 38; 39:10,12-13; 40:13,17; 42:9; 43; 44:4,23-26; 50:15; 54:1-3; 55:1-17; 56; 57:1-2; 59; 60:1-3,11; 61:1-2; 64:1-2; 69; 70:1-2; 71:1-2,4,9,12; 74:1,3,10-11,19,21-23; 77:1-2,7-9; 79:1,5,8-9,11; 80:1,3-5,14; 83; 85:5-7; 86; 88:9-14; 89:39-51; 90:15; 94; 102:2,24; 106:47; 108:6,12; 109; 116:4; 119:22,28,39,41-42,76-77,82,84,107,121-123,134,145-149,153-154,170,173; 120:2; 123:3-4; 126:4; 130; 140; 141; 142:1-2,5-7; 143; Isaiah 33:2; 38:2-3,14-19; 51:9; 63:15-17; 64:1,9-12; Jeremiah 10:24; 14:8-9,19-21; 15:15; 16:19; 17:17-18; 18:19; 27:8; 32:16-25; Lamentations 1:9-11,20; 2:18-19; 5:1,16-17,19-22; Daniel 6:10; Joel 1:19; Jonah 1:14; 2; Habakkuk 1:12-13; Matthew 8:25; 14:30; 15:22-28; 26:39,42,44; 27:46; Mark 14:36; 15:34; Luke 18:1; 22:42; 23:46; John 11:3; Acts 4:29-30; 7:59-60; 2 Corinthians 12:8; James 5:13-16.
PRAYER IN, ANSWERED
See PRAYER, ANSWERED
PRAYER FOR THE AFFLICTED
- Job 5:17 Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty:
- Also Job 13:15; 34:31-32,34; Psalms 4:4; 37:1; 46:10; Proverbs 3:11; Lamentations 3:22-36,39; Micah 6:9; Matthew 26:39; Mark 14:36; Luke 21:19; 22:42; John 18:11; Romans 5:3; 12:12; 2 Corinthians 12:9; Philippians 2:14; Colossians 1:11; 1 Thessalonians 3:3; 2 Thessalonians 1:4; 2 Timothy 2:3; 4:5; Hebrews 10:34; 12:3-12; James 1:10; 4:7; 1 Peter 1:6; 2:20; 4:12-13,19; 5:6-7.
RESIGNATION IN, EXEMPLIFIED
- Judges 10:15 And the children of Israel said unto the LORD, We have sinned: do thou unto us whatsoever seemeth good unto thee; deliver us only, we pray thee, this day.
- Also 1 Samuel 3:18; 2 Samuel 12:23; 15:26; 16:10,12; 24:14; 2 Kings 4:26; 20:19; Nehemiah 9:33; Esther 4:16; Job 1:21-22; 2:10; 13:15; 14:14; Psalms 39:9; 71:20; 119:75; Isaiah 39:8; Jeremiah 10:19; Lamentations 1:18; 3:39; Daniel 9:14; Micah 7:9; Luke 23:40-41; Acts 21:14; Romans 5:3-4; 2 Corinthians 6:4-10; 7:4; 2 Thessalonians 1:4; James 5:11.
INSTANCES OF RESIGNATION IN
Aaron, at the death of Nadab and Abihu
- Leviticus 10:1-3 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. 2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD. 3 Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the LORD spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.
Against his house were foretold
- 1 Samuel 3:15-18 And Samuel lay until the morning, and opened the doors of the house of the LORD. And Samuel feared to shew Eli the vision. 16 Then Eli called Samuel, and said, Samuel, my son. And he answered, Here am I. 17 And he said, What is the thing that the LORD hath said unto thee? I pray thee hide it not from me: God do so to thee, and more also, if thou hide any thing from me of all the things that he said unto thee. 18 And Samuel told him every whit, and hid nothing from him. And he said, It is the LORD: let him do what seemeth him good.
David, at the death of his child
- 2 Samuel 12:23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.
The Shunammite woman
- 2 Kings 4:18-37 And when the child was grown, it fell on a day, that he went out to his father to the reapers. 19 And he said unto his father, My head, my head. And he said to a lad, Carry him to his mother. 20 And when he had taken him, and brought him to his mother, he sat on her knees till noon, and then died. 21 And she went up, and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out. ...
Jesus, in Gethsemane
- Matthew 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
- Also Mark 14:36; Luke 22:42; John 18:11.
Paul and Silas in prison
- Acts 16:23-25 And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely: 24 Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. 25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.