Impenitence in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Leviticus 23:26-29 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD. 28 And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God. 29 For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.
- Leviticus 26:21-24 And if ye walk contrary unto me, and will not hearken unto me; I will bring seven times more plagues upon you according to your sins. 22 I will also send wild beasts among you, which shall rob you of your children, and destroy your cattle, and make you few in number; and your high ways shall be desolate. 23 And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me; 24 Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins.
- Deuteronomy 29:19-21 And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst: 20 The LORD will not spare him, but then the anger of the LORD and his jealousy shall smoke against that man, and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the LORD shall blot out his name from under heaven. 21 And the LORD shall separate him unto evil out of all the tribes of Israel, according to all the curses of the covenant that are written in this book of the law:
- Also 1 Samuel 15:23; Job 9:2,4; 24:13; 33:14; Psalms 7:11,13; 10:3; 32:9; 50:17,21; 52:1,7; 58:3-5; 68:21; 78:8; 81:11-12; 82:5; 95:8; 106:24-25; 107:11-12; Proverbs 1:24-31; 11:3; 15:10,32; 19:16; 21:29; 26:11; 28:13-14; 29:1; Ecclesiastes 8:11,13; Isaiah 26:10; 28:12; 32:9-11; 42:22-25; 46:12-13; 48:4,8; 57:11; 65:12,15; 66:4; Jeremiah 2:25; 3:7-10; 5:21-24; 6:10,16-17,19; 7:13-34; 8:4-22; 11:8; 12:11; 13:15,17,27; 14:1-16; 15:6-7; 16:12; 17:23; 18:12; 19:15; 22:21; 25:4; 26:4-6; 29:19; 32:33; 35:14-17; 44:10,16-17; Ezekiel 2:4-5; 3:1-11,19,26; 12:2; 20:8,13,21; 33:4-5,9; Daniel 9:13; Hosea 4:17; 5:4; 7:13,15; 11:2,7; Zechariah 1:4; 7:4-14; Malachi 2:2,17; Matthew 11:16-24; 12:42,44; 13:15; 23:37-38; 24:38-39,48-51; 27:4,25; Mark 3:5; Luke 7:35; 10:13; 13:1-3,5,34; 16:31; Acts 7:51; Romans 2:4-5; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Hebrews 3:8; 12:17; Revelation 2:5,16,21-22; 3:3; 9:20-21; 16:9,21.
- Exodus 9:30 But as for thee and thy servants, I know that ye will not yet fear the LORD God.
- Exodus 9:34 And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants.
- Exodus 10:27 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he would not let them go.
- Exodus 14:5-9 And it was told the king of Egypt that the people fled: and the heart of Pharaoh and of his servants was turned against the people, and they said, Why have we done this, that we have let Israel go from serving us? 6 And he made ready his chariot, and took his people with him: 7 And he took six hundred chosen chariots, and all the chariots of Egypt, and captains over every one of them. 8 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued after the children of Israel: and the children of Israel went out with an high hand. ...
- Numbers 14:22-23 Because all those men which have seen my glory, and my miracles, which I did in Egypt and in the wilderness, and have tempted me now these ten times, and have not hearkened to my voice; 23 Surely they shall not see the land which I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any of them that provoked me see it:
- 2 Kings 17:14 Notwithstanding they would not hear, but hardened their necks, like to the neck of their fathers, that did not believe in the LORD their God.
- 2 Chronicles 24:19 Yet he sent prophets to them, to bring them again unto the LORD; and they testified against them: but they would not give ear.
- 2 Chronicles 36:16-17 But they mocked the messengers of God, and despised his words, and misused his prophets, until the wrath of the LORD arose against his people, till there was no remedy. 17 Therefore he brought upon them the king of the Chaldees, who slew their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, and had no compassion upon young man or maiden, old man, or him that stooped for age: he gave them all into his hand.
- Nehemiah 9:16-17 But they and our fathers dealt proudly, and hardened their necks, and hearkened not to thy commandments, 17 And refused to obey, neither were mindful of thy wonders that thou didst among them; but hardened their necks, and in their rebellion appointed a captain to return to their bondage: but thou art a God ready to pardon, gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and forsookest them not.
- Nehemiah 9:29-30 And testifiedst against them, that thou mightest bring them again unto thy law: yet they dealt proudly, and hearkened not unto thy commandments, but sinned against thy judgments, (which if a man do, he shall live in them;) and withdrew the shoulder, and hardened their neck, and would not hear. 30 Yet many years didst thou forbear them, and testifiedst against them by thy spirit in thy prophets: yet would they not give ear: therefore gavest thou them into the hand of the people of the lands.
- Also Jeremiah 36:31.
- 1 Samuel 2:25 If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: but if a man sin against the LORD, who shall intreat for him? Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto the voice of their father, because the LORD would slay them.
- 2 Chronicles 25:16 And it came to pass, as he talked with him, that the king said unto him, Art thou made of the king's counsel? forbear; why shouldest thou be smitten? Then the prophet forbare, and said, I know that God hath determined to destroy thee, because thou hast done this, and hast not hearkened unto my counsel.
- 2 Chronicles 33:10 And the LORD spake to Manasseh, and to his people: but they would not hearken.
- 2 Chronicles 33:23 And humbled not himself before the LORD, as Manasseh his father had humbled himself; but Amon trespassed more and more.
- 2 Chronicles 36:12-13 And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD his God, and humbled not himself before Jeremiah the prophet speaking from the mouth of the LORD. 13 And he also rebelled against king Nebuchadnezzar, who had made him swear by God: but he stiffened his neck, and hardened his heart from turning unto the LORD God of Israel.
- Jeremiah 37:2 But neither he, nor his servants, nor the people of the land, did hearken unto the words of the LORD, which he spake by the prophet Jeremiah.
Jehoiakim and his servants
- Jeremiah 36:22-24 Now the king sat in the winterhouse in the ninth month: and there was a fire on the hearth burning before him. 23 And it came to pass, that when Jehudi had read three or four leaves, he cut it with the penknife, and cast it into the fire that was on the hearth, until all the roll was consumed in the fire that was on the hearth. 24 Yet they were not afraid, nor rent their garments, neither the king, nor any of his servants that heard all these words.
- Daniel 5:22-23 And thou his son, O Belshazzar, hast not humbled thine heart, though thou knewest all this; 23 But hast lifted up thyself against the Lord of heaven; and they have brought the vessels of his house before thee, and thou, and thy lords, thy wives, and thy concubines, have drunk wine in them; and thou hast praised the gods of silver, and gold, of brass, iron, wood, and stone, which see not, nor hear, nor know: and the God in whose hand thy breath is, and whose are all thy ways, hast thou not glorified:
The rich young man
- Matthew 19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.