Wisdom in the Bible
- Genesis 41:16 And Joseph answered Pharaoh, saying, It is not in me: God shall give Pharaoh an answer of peace.
- Genesis 41:25-39 And Joseph said unto Pharaoh, The dream of Pharaoh is one: God hath shewed Pharaoh what he is about to do. 26 The seven good kine are seven years; and the seven good ears are seven years: the dream is one. 27 And the seven thin and ill favoured kine that came up after them are seven years; and the seven empty ears blasted with the east wind shall be seven years of famine. 28 This is the thing which I have spoken unto Pharaoh: What God is about to do he sheweth unto Pharaoh. ...
- Also Acts 7:10.
- Acts 7:22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds.
- Exodus 31:3-5 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, 4 To devise cunning works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, 5 And in cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of timber, to work in all manner of workmanship.
- Exodus 35:31-35 And he hath filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship; 32 And to devise curious works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, 33 And in the cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of wood, to make any manner of cunning work. 34 And he hath put in his heart that he may teach, both he, and Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan. ...
- Also Exodus 36:1.
- Exodus 31:6 And I, behold, I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee;
- Exodus 35:34-35 And he hath put in his heart that he may teach, both he, and Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan. 35 Them hath he filled with wisdom of heart, to work all manner of work, of the engraver, and of the cunning workman, and of the embroiderer, in blue, and in purple, in scarlet, and in fine linen, and of the weaver, even of them that do any work, and of those that devise cunning work.
- Exodus 36:1 Then wrought Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whom the LORD put wisdom and understanding to know how to work all manner of work for the service of the sanctuary, according to all that the LORD had commanded.
Of other skilled artisans
- Exodus 36:2 And Moses called Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whose heart the LORD had put wisdom, even every one whose heart stirred him up to come unto the work to do it:
- Exodus 35:26 And all the women whose heart stirred them up in wisdom spun goats' hair.
- 1 Kings 7:14 He was a widow's son of the tribe of Naphtali, and his father was a man of Tyre, a worker in brass: and he was filled with wisdom, and understanding, and cunning to work all works in brass. And he came to king Solomon, and wrought all his work.
- 2 Chronicles 2:14 The son of a woman of the daughters of Dan, and his father was a man of Tyre, skilful to work in gold, and in silver, in brass, in iron, in stone, and in timber, in purple, in blue, and in fine linen, and in crimson; also to grave any manner of graving, and to find out every device which shall be put to him, with thy cunning men, and with the cunning men of my lord David thy father.
- 1 Kings 3:12 Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.
- 1 Kings 3:16-28 Then came there two women, that were harlots, unto the king, and stood before him. 17 And the one woman said, O my lord, I and this woman dwell in one house; and I was delivered of a child with her in the house. 18 And it came to pass the third day after that I was delivered, that this woman was delivered also: and we were together; there was no stranger with us in the house, save we two in the house. 19 And this woman's child died in the night; because she overlaid it. ...
- Also 1 Kings 4:29-34; 5:12; 10:24.
Of Ethan, Heman, Chalcol, and Darda
- 1 Kings 4:31 For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about.
Of the princes of the tribe of Issachar
- 1 Chronicles 12:32 And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their commandment.
- Ezra 7:25 And thou, Ezra, after the wisdom of thy God, that is in thine hand, set magistrates and judges, which may judge all the people that are beyond the river, all such as know the laws of thy God; and teach ye them that know them not.
- Daniel 1:17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.
- Daniel 5:14 I have even heard of thee, that the spirit of the gods is in thee, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom is found in thee.
- 2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
Of the Magi (wise men from the east)
- Matthew 2:1-12 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. 3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. ...
UNCLASSIFIED SCRIPTURES RELATING TO
- Deuteronomy 32:29 O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their latter end!
- Job 5:27 Lo this, we have searched it, so it is; hear it, and know thou it for thy good.
- Job 8:8 For inquire, I pray thee, of the former age, and prepare thyself to the search of their fathers:
- Job 8:10 Shall not they teach thee, and tell thee, and utter words out of their heart?
- Job 12:2-3 No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you. 3 But I have understanding as well as you; I am not inferior to you: yea, who knoweth not such things as these?
- Also Job 12:7-13,16-17,22; 28:12-28; 32:9; 42:5; Psalm 2:10; 9:10; 76:1; 107:43; 111:10; Proverbs 1:5,7,21-33; 2:1-20; 3:13-26,34-35; 4:4-13,18-22; 5:12; 7:2-4; 8; 9:1-6,9-12; 10:8,13-14,21,23; 11:9,12; 12:1,8,15; 13:14-16; 14:6-8,16,18,33; 15:2,7,33; 16:16,20-24; 17:10,24; 18:15; 19:8,20; 21:11; 22:17-21; 23:12,19,23; 24:13-14; 28:5,7; 29:3; Ecclesiastes 8:1,5; 9:13-18; 10:12; 12:11; Isaiah 2:3; 11:9; 29:24; 33:6; Jeremiah 9:23-24; 31:34; Daniel 11:32-33; 12:3-4,10; Hosea 6:3,6; 14:9; Matthew 6:22-23; 7:24-25; 11:19; 25:1-13; Mark 12:32-34; Luke 1:17; 7:35; 11:34-36; John 7:17; 8:32; 10:4,14; 17:3,8,25; Acts 6:10; Romans 15:14; 16:19; 1 Corinthians 2:6-16; 3:18; 8:3; 13:11; 14:20; 2 Corinthians 2:11; 8:7; Galatians 4:9; Ephesians 4:11-13; 5:15-17; Philippians 3:7-10; Colossians 3:10,16; 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5; 1 Timothy 2:4; 2 Timothy 3:15; James 3:13; 1 John 4:6.
SPIRITUAL, FROM GOD
- Exodus 4:11-12 And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD? 12 Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.
- Exodus 8:9-10 And Moses said unto Pharaoh, Glory over me: when shall I intreat for thee, and for thy servants, and for thy people, to destroy the frogs from thee and thy houses, that they may remain in the river only? 10 And he said, To morrow. And he said, Be it according to thy word: that thou mayest know that there is none like unto the LORD our God.
- Deuteronomy 4:5-6 Behold, I have taught you statutes and judgments, even as the LORD my God commanded me, that ye should do so in the land whither ye go to possess it. 6 Keep therefore and do them; for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the nations, which shall hear all these statutes, and say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
- Also Deuteronomy 4:35-36; 29:4; 1 Chronicles 22:12; Nehemiah 9:20; Job 4:3; 11:5-6; 22:21-22; 32:7-8; 33:16; 35:10-11; 36:22; 38:36-37; Psalm 16:7; 19:1-2; 25:8-9,12,14; 32:8; 36:9; 51:6; 71:17; 94:12; 112:4; 119:130; Proverbs 1:23; 2:6-7; 3:5-6; Ecclesiastes 2:26; Isaiah 11:1-3; 30:21; 42:6-7,16; 48:17; 54:13; Jeremiah 24:7; Daniel 1:17; 2:20-23; Matthew 11:25-27; 13:11; 16:16-17; Luke 1:76-79; 12:11-12; 21:15; 24:32,45; John 1:1,4-5,7-9,17; 6:45; 8:12,31-32; 9:5,39; 12:46; 14:7; 16:13-14; 17:6,26; 18:37; Romans 1:19-20; 1 Corinthians 1:30; 2:9-14; 12:8; 2 Corinthians 4:6; Philippians 3:15; Colossians 1:26-28; 2 Timothy 1:7; James 3:17; 2 Peter 1:2-5,8,12; 3:18; 1 John 2:20,27; 5:20.
See GOD, WISDOM OF
PRAYER FOR SPIRITUAL
- Numbers 27:21 And he shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall ask counsel for him after the judgment of Urim before the LORD: at his word shall they go out, and at his word they shall come in, both he, and all the children of Israel with him, even all the congregation.
- Judges 20:18 And the children of Israel arose, and went up to the house of God, and asked counsel of God, and said, Which of us shall go up first to the battle against the children of Benjamin? And the LORD said, Judah shall go up first.
- 1 Kings 3:7 And now, O LORD my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.
- 1 Kings 3:9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?
- 1 Kings 8:36 Then hear thou in heaven, and forgive the sin of thy servants, and of thy people Israel, that thou teach them the good way wherein they should walk, and give rain upon thy land, which thou hast given to thy people for an inheritance.
- Also 2 Chronicles 1:10; Job 34:32; Psalm 5:8; 25:4-5; 27:11; 31:3; 39:4; 43:3; 86:11; 90:12; 119:12,18-19,26-27,33-34,66,68,73,80,124-125,135,144,169,171; 139:24; Ephesians 1:16-19; 3:14-19; 6:18-20; Philippians 1:9-10; Colossians 1:9-10; 2:1-3; 4:2-4; 2 Timothy 2:7; James 1:5.
- Genesis 3:6-7 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. 7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
- Job 4:18-21 Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly: 19 How much less in them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, which are crushed before the moth? 20 They are destroyed from morning to evening: they perish for ever without any regarding it. 21 Doth not their excellency which is in them go away? they die, even without wisdom.
- Also Job 5:13; 11:2,12; 37:24; Proverbs 3:7; 15:21-22; 16:25; 17:2,10; 18:1; 20:18; 21:20,22,30; 24:3-7; 28:11; Ecclesiastes 1:18; 2; 7:11-13,16-25; 8:1,16-17; 10:2-3,10; Isaiah 5:21; 28:24-29; 29:14-16; 47:10-11; Jeremiah 8:7-9; 9:23-24; 49:7; Matthew 6:23; 7:24-27; 11:25; Luke 10:21; 16:8; Romans 1:21-23; 1 Corinthians 1:17-26; 2:1-14; 3:18-20; 8:1-2; 2 Corinthians 1:12; Colossians 2:8; 1 Timothy 6:20-21.