Vinegar in the Bible
(A sour wine) Forbidden to Nazarites
- Numbers 6:3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for VINEGAR.
Used with food
- Ruth 2:14 And Boaz said unto her, At mealtime come thou hither, and eat of the bread, and dip thy morsel in the vinegar. And she sat beside the reapers: and he reached her parched corn, and she did eat, and was sufficed, and left.
- Psalm 69:21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
- Proverbs 10:26 As vinegar to the teeth, and as smoke to the eyes, so is the sluggard to them that send him.
- Proverbs 25:20 As he that taketh away a garment in cold weather, and as vinegar upon nitre, so is he that singeth songs to an heavy heart.
⇒Definition of vinegar
Offered to Christ while on the cross
- Matthew 27:34 They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.
- Matthew 27:48 And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink.
- John 19:29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
- Mark 15:23 And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but he received it not.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Vinegar.