Vail in the Bible
(Veil, curtain) 1. Hangings used in the tabernacle to separate the Holy of Holies (the Most Holy Place) from the Holy Place
Called the second veil
- Hebrews 6:19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
- Hebrews 9:3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;
- Exodus 26:31-33 And thou shalt make a vail of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen of cunning work: with cherubims shall it be made: 32 And thou shalt hang it upon four pillars of shittim wood overlaid with gold: their hooks shall be of gold, upon the four sockets of silver. 33 And thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony: and the vail shall divide unto you between the holy place and the most holy.
Made by Bezaleel and Aholiab
- Exodus 36:35-36 And he made a vail of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen: with cherubims made he it of cunning work. 36 And he made thereunto four pillars of shittim wood, and overlaid them with gold: their hooks were of gold; and he cast for them four sockets of silver.
2. A covering for the ark of the covenant
- Exodus 35:12 The ark, and the staves thereof, with the mercy seat, and the vail of the covering,
- Exodus 39:34 And the covering of rams' skins dyed red, and the covering of badgers' skins, and the vail of the covering,
- Exodus 40:21 And he brought the ark into the tabernacle, and set up the vail of the covering, and covered the ark of the testimony; as the LORD commanded Moses.
- Numbers 4:5 And when the camp setteth forward, Aaron shall come, and his sons, and they shall take down the covering vail, and cover the ark of testimony with it:
3. Of the temple
- 2 Chronicles 3:14 And he made the vail of blue, and purple, and crimson, and fine linen, and wrought cherubims thereon.
Torn from the top to the bottom at the time of the crucifixion of Jesus
- Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
- Mark 15:38 And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.
- Luke 23:45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
- Hebrews 10:20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;