Unbelief in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Exodus 4:1 And Moses answered and said, But, behold, they will not believe me, nor hearken unto my voice: for they will say, The LORD hath not appeared unto thee.
- Numbers 11:21-23 And Moses said, The people, among whom I am, are six hundred thousand footmen; and thou hast said, I will give them flesh, that they may eat a whole month. 22 Shall the flocks and the herds be slain for them, to suffice them? or shall all the fish of the sea be gathered together for them, to suffice them? 23 And the LORD said unto Moses, Is the LORD'S hand waxed short? thou shalt see now whether my word shall come to pass unto thee or not.
- Numbers 20:12-13 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them. 13 This is the water of Meribah; because the children of Israel strove with the LORD, and he was sanctified in them.
- Also Psalm 78:19,21-22,32; 95:8-11; 106:7,24; Isaiah 6:9-10; 7:9; 53:1-3; 58:3; Jeremiah 5:12-14; Malachi 1:2,7; Matthew 10:14-15; 11:16-19; 13:13-15,58; 17:17,19-20; 21:32; Mark 4:24-25; 6:2-6; 9:24; 16:14,16; Luke 7:31-35; 8:12,18; 10:16; 12:46; 13:34; 14:16-24; 16:31; 18:8; 19:41-42; 22:67; 24:11,21,25-26,36-45; John 1:10-11; 3:7,11-12,18,32,36; 4:48; 5:38,40,43-44,46-47; 6:36,60-62,64,66,70-71; 8:24,45-47,52-53; 10:25-26,37-38; 12:37-40,47-48; 14:17; 16:8-9; 20:27; Acts 13:40-41; 19:9; 22:18; 28:24; Romans 1:18; 3:3; 4:20; 9:31-32; 10:6-7,14,16,21; 11:7,20,30-32; 14:23; 1 Corinthians 1:18,22-23; 2:14; 14:22; 2 Corinthians 6:14-16; 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12; 3:2; 1 Timothy 1:13; 2 Timothy 2:13; Titus 1:15; Hebrews 3:12,16-19; 4:1-3,6,11; 11:6,31; 12:25; James 1:6-7; 1 Peter 2:7-8; 2 Peter 3:4; 1 John 2:22-23; 4:3; 5:10,12; Jude 5; Revelation 21:8.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for UNBELIEF.
⇒Definition of unbelief
- Genesis 3:4-6 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. 6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
⇒"Unbelief" Bible Outline
Moses and Aaron
- Numbers 20:12 And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Unbelief.
- Deuteronomy 9:23 Likewise when the LORD sent you from Kadeshbarnea, saying, Go up and possess the land which I have given you; then ye rebelled against the commandment of the LORD your God, and ye believed him not, nor hearkened to his voice.
- 2 Kings 17:14 Notwithstanding they would not hear, but hardened their necks, like to the neck of their fathers, that did not believe in the LORD their God.
- Psalm 78 Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. 2 I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old: 3 Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. 4 We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done. ...
- 2 Kings 5:12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? may I not wash in them, and be clean? So he turned and went away in a rage.
A Samaritan lord
- 2 Kings 7:2 Then a lord on whose hand the king leaned answered the man of God, and said, Behold, if the LORD would make windows in heaven, might this thing be? And he said, Behold, thou shalt see it with thine eyes, but shalt not eat thereof.
- Matthew 17:17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
- Luke 24:11 And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.
- Luke 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
- Luke 1:20 And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed, because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their season.
- Luke 22:67 Art thou the Christ? tell us. And he said unto them, If I tell you, ye will not believe:
The Jewish leaders
- Mark 1:45 But he went out, and began to publish it much, and to blaze abroad the matter, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into the city, but was without in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter.
- Mark 2:6-11 But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, 7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only? 8 And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts? 9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk? ...
- Also Mark 8:11-12; 15:29-32; John 5:38,40,43,46-47.
- Matthew 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
- Mark 4:38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
- Mark 4:40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
- Luke 24:41-45 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat? 42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43 And he took it, and did eat before them. 44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. ...
The half-brothers of Christ
- John 7:5 For neither did his brethren believe in him.
- John 20:25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
The Jews of Iconium
- Acts 14:2 But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles, and made their minds evil affected against the brethren.
The Thessalonian Jews
- Acts 17:5 But the Jews which believed not, moved with envy, took unto them certain lewd fellows of the baser sort, and gathered a company, and set all the city on an uproar, and assaulted the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people.
Jews in Jerusalem
- Romans 15:31 That I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judaea; and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be accepted of the saints;
- Acts 19:9 But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus.
- 1 Timothy 1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
People of Jericho
- Hebrews 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.