Tongue in the Bible
- Genesis 10:5 By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.
- Genesis 10:20 These are the sons of Ham, after their families, after their tongues, in their countries, and in their nations.
- Isaiah 66:18 For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.
- Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
- Genesis 11:1-9 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. 3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter. 4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. ...
- Acts 2:1-18 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. ...
- Acts 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
- Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
- Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
- 1 Corinthians 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
- 1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
- 1 Corinthians 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
- 1 Corinthians 14 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. ...
- Proverbs 10:8 The wise in heart will receive commandments: but a prating fool shall fall.
- Proverbs 10:19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.
Restrained by wisdom
- Proverbs 17:27 He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of an excellent spirit.
- Proverbs 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.
- Ecclesiastes 3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
- Proverbs 29:20 Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
See SPEAKING, EVIL