Thorn in the Bible
The ground cursed with
- Genesis 3:18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
⇒Definition of thorn
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Thorn.
As an awl
- Job 41:2 Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?
- Psalm 58:9 Before your pots can feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living, and in his wrath.
- Psalm 118:12 They compassed me about like bees; they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.
- Ecclesiastes 7:6 For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool: this also is vanity.
Hedges formed of
- Hosea 2:6 Therefore, behold, I will hedge up thy way with thorns, and make a wall, that she shall not find her paths.
- Micah 7:4 The best of them is as a brier: the most upright is sharper than a thorn hedge: the day of thy watchmen and thy visitation cometh; now shall be their perplexity.
Crown of, mockingly put on Jesus' head
- Matthew 27:29 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews!
- Mark 15:17 And they clothed him with purple, and platted a crown of thorns, and put it about his head,
- John 19:2 And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe,
- John 19:5 Then came Jesus forth, wearing the crown of thorns, and the purple robe. And Pilate saith unto them, Behold the man!
- Numbers 33:55 But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell.
- 2 Corinthians 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
Of the adversities of the wicked
- Proverbs 22:5 Thorns and snares are in the way of the froward: he that doth keep his soul shall be far from them.
Of the evils that spring from the heart to choke the truth
- Matthew 13:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
- Matthew 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.