Tarsus in the Bible
(The capitol of Cilicia in Asia Minor) Paul's birthplace
- Acts 9:11 And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and inquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,
- Acts 21:39 But Paul said, I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, a citizen of no mean city: and, I beseech thee, suffer me to speak unto the people.
- Acts 22:3 I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for TARSUS.
Paul sent to, from Jerusalem, to avoid assassination
- Acts 9:30 Which when the brethren knew, they brought him down to Caesarea, and sent him forth to Tarsus.
⇒Definition of tarsus
Paul brought from, by Barnabas
- Acts 11:25-26 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: 26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Tarsus.