Spitting in the Bible
In the face, as an indignity
- Numbers 12:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, If her father had but spit in her face, should she not be ashamed seven days? let her be shut out from the camp seven days, and after that let her be received in again.
- Deuteronomy 25:9 Then shall his brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders, and loose his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face, and shall answer and say, So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his brother's house.
- Job 30:10 They abhor me, they flee far from me, and spare not to spit in my face.
- Matthew 26:67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,
- Matthew 27:30 And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head.
⇒Definition of spitting
Jesus used spittle for healing
- Mark 7:33 And he took him aside from the multitude, and put his fingers into his ears, and he spit, and touched his tongue;
- Mark 8:23 And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Spitting.