Sapphire in the Bible
A precious stone
- Job 28:6 The stones of it are the place of sapphires: and it hath dust of gold.
- Job 28:16 It cannot be valued with the gold of Ophir, with the precious onyx, or the sapphire.
- Isaiah 54:11 O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires.
- Ezekiel 28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
Set in the breastplate
- Exodus 28:18 And the second row shall be an emerald, a sapphire, and a diamond.
The color of the expanse
- Ezekiel 1:26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.
Seen in the foundation of the New Jerusalem in John's apocalyptic vision
- Revelation 21:19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;