Raven in the Bible
A black carnivorous bird
- Proverbs 30:17 The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it.
- Song of Solomon 5:11 His head is as the most fine gold, his locks are bushy, and black as a raven.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for RAVEN.
Forbidden as food
- Leviticus 11:15 Every raven after his kind;
- Deuteronomy 14:14 And every raven after his kind,
⇒Definition of raven
Preserved by Noah in the ark
- Genesis 8:7 And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Raven.
- 1 Kings 17:4-6 And it shall be, that thou shalt drink of the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to feed thee there. 5 So he went and did according unto the word of the LORD: for he went and dwelt by the brook Cherith, that is before Jordan. 6 And the ravens brought him bread and flesh in the morning, and bread and flesh in the evening; and he drank of the brook.
Cared for by divine providence
- Luke 12:24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?