Prison in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Genesis 39:20 And Joseph's master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king's prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison.
- Genesis 42:16-19 Send one of you, and let him fetch your brother, and ye shall be kept in prison, that your words may be proved, whether there be any truth in you: or else by the life of Pharaoh surely ye are spies. 17 And he put them all together into ward three days. 18 And Joseph said unto them the third day, This do, and live; for I fear God: 19 If ye be true men, let one of your brethren be bound in the house of your prison: go ye, carry corn for the famine of your houses:
- Leviticus 24:12 And they put him in ward, that the mind of the LORD might be shewed them.
- Numbers 15:34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
- Ezra 7:26 And whosoever will not do the law of thy God, and the law of the king, let judgment be executed speedily upon him, whether it be unto death, or to banishment, or to confiscation of goods, or to imprisonment.
- Jeremiah 52:11 Then he put out the eyes of Zedekiah; and the king of Babylon bound him in chains, and carried him to Babylon, and put him in prison till the day of his death.
- Luke 23:19 (Who for a certain sedition made in the city, and for murder, was cast into prison.)
- Acts 4:3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.
- Acts 12:4-5 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. 5 Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.
Public ward of
- Acts 5:18 And laid their hands on the apostles, and put them in the common prison.
- Acts 16:24 Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks.
- Jeremiah 33:1 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto Jeremiah the second time, while he was yet shut up in the court of the prison, saying,