Onan in the Bible
(Son of Judah) Killed for his refusal to raise seed (offspring) for his deceased brother
- Genesis 38:4 And she conceived again, and bare a son; and she called his name Onan.
- Genesis 38:8-10 And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. 9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. 10 And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.
- Genesis 46:12 And the sons of Judah; Er, and Onan, and Shelah, and Pharez, and Zerah: but Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan. And the sons of Pharez were Hezron and Hamul.
- Numbers 26:19 The sons of Judah were Er and Onan: and Er and Onan died in the land of Canaan.
- 1 Chronicles 2:3 The sons of Judah; Er, and Onan, and Shelah: which three were born unto him of the daughter of Shua the Canaanitess. And Er, the firstborn of Judah, was evil in the sight of the LORD; and he slew him.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for ONAN.
⇒Definition of onanism
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Onan.