Millo in the Bible
1. The house of Millo, possibly a clan at Shechem
- Judges 9:6 And all the men of Shechem gathered together, and all the house of Millo, and went, and made Abimelech king, by the plain of the pillar that was in Shechem.
- Judges 9:20 But if not, let fire come out from Abimelech, and devour the men of Shechem, and the house of Millo; and let fire come out from the men of Shechem, and from the house of Millo, and devour Abimelech.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for MILLO.
2. A name given to part of the citadel of Jerusalem
- 2 Samuel 5:9 So David dwelt in the fort, and called it the city of David. And David built round about from Millo and inward.
- 1 Chronicles 11:8 And he built the city round about, even from Millo round about: and Joab repaired the rest of the city.
⇒Definition of mill
King Solomon raises a levy to repair
- 1 Kings 9:15 And this is the reason of the levy which king Solomon raised; for to build the house of the LORD, and his own house, and Millo, and the wall of Jerusalem, and Hazor, and Megiddo, and Gezer.
- 1 Kings 9:24 But Pharaoh's daughter came up out of the city of David unto her house which Solomon had built for her: then did he build Millo.
- 1 Kings 11:27 And this was the cause that he lifted up his hand against the king: Solomon built Millo, and repaired the breaches of the city of David his father.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Millo.
Repaired by Hezekiah
- 2 Chronicles 32:5 Also he strengthened himself, and built up all the wall that was broken, and raised it up to the towers, and another wall without, and repaired Millo in the city of David, and made darts and shields in abundance.
King Joash murdered at
- 2 Kings 12:20 And his servants arose, and made a conspiracy, and slew Joash in the house of Millo, which goeth down to Silla.