Kedesh in the Bible
1. A city of the tribe of Judah
- Joshua 15:23 And Kedesh, and Hazor, and Ithnan,
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Kedesh.
Possibly identical with KADESH-BARNEA
2. Also called KISHION and KISHON
A Canaanite city captured by Joshua
- Joshua 12:22 The king of Kedesh, one; the king of Jokneam of Carmel, one;
- Joshua 19:20 And Rabbith, and Kishion, and Abez,
- Joshua 21:28 And out of the tribe of Issachar, Kishon with her suburbs, Dabareh with her suburbs,
- 1 Chronicles 6:72 And out of the tribe of Issachar; Kedesh with her suburbs, Daberath with her suburbs,
3. Also called KEDESH-NAPHTALI
A city of refuge
- Joshua 20:7 And they appointed Kedesh in Galilee in mount Naphtali, and Shechem in mount Ephraim, and Kirjatharba, which is Hebron, in the mountain of Judah.
- Joshua 21:32 And out of the tribe of Naphtali, Kedesh in Galilee with her suburbs, to be a city of refuge for the slayer; and Hammothdor with her suburbs, and Kartan with her suburbs; three cities.
Home of Barak and Heber
- Judges 4:6 And she sent and called Barak the son of Abinoam out of Kedeshnaphtali, and said unto him, Hath not the LORD God of Israel commanded, saying, Go and draw toward mount Tabor, and take with thee ten thousand men of the children of Naphtali and of the children of Zebulun?
- Judges 4:9 And she said, I will surely go with thee: notwithstanding the journey that thou takest shall not be for thine honour; for the LORD shall sell Sisera into the hand of a woman. And Deborah arose, and went with Barak to Kedesh.
- Judges 4:11 Now Heber the Kenite, which was of the children of Hobab the father in law of Moses, had severed himself from the Kenites, and pitched his tent unto the plain of Zaanaim, which is by Kedesh.
Captured by Tiglath-pileser
- 2 Kings 15:29 In the days of Pekah king of Israel came Tiglathpileser king of Assyria, and took Ijon, and Abelbethmaachah, and Janoah, and Kedesh, and Hazor, and Gilead, and Galilee, all the land of Naphtali, and carried them captive to Assyria.