Jether in the Bible
1. Son of Gideon, "was afraid" to kill the Midianite kings
- Judges 8:20 And he said unto Jether his firstborn, Up, and slay them. But the youth drew not his sword: for he feared, because he was yet a youth.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for JETHER.
2. An Ishmaelite who married David's sister
- 1 Kings 2:5 Moreover thou knowest also what Joab the son of Zeruiah did to me, and what he did to the two captains of the hosts of Israel, unto Abner the son of Ner, and unto Amasa the son of Jether, whom he slew, and shed the blood of war in peace, and put the blood of war upon his girdle that was about his loins, and in his shoes that were on his feet.
- 1 Kings 2:32 And the LORD shall return his blood upon his own head, who fell upon two men more righteous and better than he, and slew them with the sword, my father David not knowing thereof, to wit, Abner the son of Ner, captain of the host of Israel, and Amasa the son of Jether, captain of the host of Judah.
- 1 Chronicles 2:17 And Abigail bare Amasa: and the father of Amasa was Jether the Ishmeelite.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Jether.
- 2 Samuel 17:25 And Absalom made Amasa captain of the host instead of Joab: which Amasa was a man's son, whose name was Ithra an Israelite, that went in to Abigail the daughter of Nahash, sister to Zeruiah Joab's mother.
3. A son of Jada
- 1 Chronicles 2:32 And the sons of Jada the brother of Shammai; Jether, and Jonathan: and Jether died without children.
4. A son of Ezra
- 1 Chronicles 4:17 And the sons of Ezra were, Jether, and Mered, and Epher, and Jalon: and she bare Miriam, and Shammai, and Ishbah the father of Eshtemoa.
5. A chief of the line of Asher
- 1 Chronicles 7:38 And the sons of Jether; Jephunneh, and Pispah, and Ara.