En-gedi in the Bible
Called HAZEZON-TAMAR A city allotted to the tribe of Judah
- Joshua 15:62 And Nibshan, and the city of Salt, and Engedi; six cities with their villages.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for EN-GEDI.
Built by the Amorites
- Genesis 14:7 And they returned, and came to Enmishpat, which is Kadesh, and smote all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites, that dwelt in Hazezontamar.
- 2 Chronicles 20:2 Then there came some that told Jehoshaphat, saying, There cometh a great multitude against thee from beyond the sea on this side Syria; and, behold, they be in Hazazontamar, which is Engedi.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Engedi.
Famous for its vineyards
- Song of Solomon 1:14 My beloved is unto me as a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi.
Wilderness of, in the vicinity of the Dead Sea David uses as a stronghold
- 1 Samuel 23:29 And David went up from thence, and dwelt in strong holds at Engedi.
- 1 Samuel 24 And it came to pass, when Saul was returned from following the Philistines, that it was told him, saying, Behold, David is in the wilderness of Engedi. 2 Then Saul took three thousand chosen men out of all Israel, and went to seek David and his men upon the rocks of the wild goats. 3 And he came to the sheepcotes by the way, where was a cave; and Saul went in to cover his feet: and David and his men remained in the sides of the cave. 4 And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily. ...
- 1 Samuel 24:3 And he came to the sheepcotes by the way, where was a cave; and Saul went in to cover his feet: and David and his men remained in the sides of the cave.