Elkanah in the Bible
1. Grandson of Korah
- Exodus 6:24 And the sons of Korah; Assir, and Elkanah, and Abiasaph: these are the families of the Korhites.
- 1 Chronicles 6:23 Elkanah his son, and Ebiasaph his son, and Assir his son,
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for ELKANAH.
2. Father of Samuel; a descendant of the preceding
- 1 Samuel 1:1 Now there was a certain man of Ramathaimzophim, of mount Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephrathite:
- 1 Samuel 1:4 And when the time was that Elkanah offered, he gave to Peninnah his wife, and to all her sons and her daughters, portions:
- 1 Samuel 1:8 Then said Elkanah her husband to her, Hannah, why weepest thou? and why eatest thou not? and why is thy heart grieved? am not I better to thee than ten sons?
- 1 Samuel 1:19 And they rose up in the morning early, and worshipped before the LORD, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her.
- 1 Samuel 1:21 And the man Elkanah, and all his house, went up to offer unto the LORD the yearly sacrifice, and his vow.
- 1 Samuel 1:23 And Elkanah her husband said unto her, Do what seemeth thee good; tarry until thou have weaned him; only the LORD establish his word. So the woman abode, and gave her son suck until she weaned him.
- 1 Samuel 2:11 And Elkanah went to Ramah to his house. And the child did minister unto the LORD before Eli the priest.
- 1 Samuel 2:20 And Eli blessed Elkanah and his wife, and said, The LORD give thee seed of this woman for the loan which is lent to the LORD. And they went unto their own home.
- 1 Chronicles 6:27 Eliab his son, Jeroham his son, Elkanah his son.
- 1 Chronicles 6:34 The son of Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Eliel, the son of Toah,
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Elkanah.
3. A Levite
- 1 Chronicles 6:25 And the sons of Elkanah; Amasai, and Ahimoth.
- 1 Chronicles 6:36 The son of Elkanah, the son of Joel, the son of Azariah, the son of Zephaniah,
4. Possibly identical with number three above
- 1 Chronicles 6:26 As for Elkanah: the sons of Elkanah; Zophai his son, and Nahath his son,
- 1 Chronicles 6:35 The son of Zuph, the son of Elkanah, the son of Mahath, the son of Amasai,
5. A Levite
- 1 Chronicles 9:16 And Obadiah the son of Shemaiah, the son of Galal, the son of Jeduthun, and Berechiah the son of Asa, the son of Elkanah, that dwelt in the villages of the Netophathites.
6. A Levite who joined David at Ziklag
- 1 Chronicles 12:6 Elkanah, and Jesiah, and Azareel, and Joezer, and Jashobeam, the Korhites,
7. A doorkeeper for the ark, perhaps identical with number six above
- 1 Chronicles 15:23 And Berechiah and Elkanah were doorkeepers for the ark.
8. A prince of Ahaz
- 2 Chronicles 28:7 And Zichri, a mighty man of Ephraim, slew Maaseiah the king's son, and Azrikam the governor of the house, and Elkanah that was next to the king.