Derision in the Bible
The wicked held in, by God
- Psalm 2:4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
- Proverbs 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
Sarah, when the angels gave her the promise of a child
- Genesis 18:12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
The evil children of Beth-el deride Elisha
- 2 Kings 2:23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
The people of Israel scoff at Hezekiah
- 2 Chronicles 30:1-10 And Hezekiah sent to all Israel and Judah, and wrote letters also to Ephraim and Manasseh, that they should come to the house of the LORD at Jerusalem, to keep the passover unto the LORD God of Israel. 2 For the king had taken counsel, and his princes, and all the congregation in Jerusalem, to keep the passover in the second month. 3 For they could not keep it at that time, because the priests had not sanctified themselves sufficiently, neither had the people gathered themselves together to Jerusalem. 4 And the thing pleased the king and all the congregation. ...