Delaiah in the Bible
1. Head of the twenty-third division of the priestly order
- 1 Chronicles 24:18 The three and twentieth to Delaiah, the four and twentieth to Maaziah.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for DELAIAH.
2. A prince of Judah
- Jeremiah 36:12 Then he went down into the king's house, into the scribe's chamber: and, lo, all the princes sat there, even Elishama the scribe, and Delaiah the son of Shemaiah, and Elnathan the son of Achbor, and Gemariah the son of Shaphan, and Zedekiah the son of Hananiah, and all the princes.
- Jeremiah 36:25 Nevertheless Elnathan and Delaiah and Gemariah had made intercession to the king that he would not burn the roll: but he would not hear them.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Delaiah.
3. A progenitor of certain Babylonish captives
- Ezra 2:60 The children of Delaiah, the children of Tobiah, the children of Nekoda, six hundred fifty and two.
- Nehemiah 7:62 The children of Delaiah, the children of Tobiah, the children of Nekoda, six hundred forty and two.
4. Father of a false prophet
- Nehemiah 6:10 Afterward I came unto the house of Shemaiah the son of Delaiah the son of Mehetabeel, who was shut up; and he said, Let us meet together in the house of God, within the temple, and let us shut the doors of the temple: for they will come to slay thee; yea, in the night will they come to slay thee.
5. A descendant of the loyal line of Judah
Also called DALAIAH
- 1 Chronicles 3:24 And the sons of Elioenai were, Hodaiah, and Eliashib, and Pelaiah, and Akkub, and Johanan, and Dalaiah, and Anani, seven.