Balances in the Bible
Used for weighing
- Job 31:6 Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity.
- Isaiah 40:12 Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?
- Isaiah 40:15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.
- Ezekiel 5:1 And thou, son of man, take thee a sharp knife, take thee a barber's rasor, and cause it to pass upon thine head and upon thy beard: then take thee balances to weigh, and divide the hair.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for BALANCE.
Money weighed with
- Isaiah 46:6 They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god: they fall down, yea, they worship.
- Jeremiah 32:10 And I subscribed the evidence, and sealed it, and took witnesses, and weighed him the money in the balances.
⇒Definition of balance
Must be just
- Leviticus 19:36 Just balances, just weights, a just ephah, and a just hin, shall ye have: I am the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt.
- Proverbs 16:11 A just weight and balance are the LORD'S: all the weights of the bag are his work.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Balances.
False balance used
- Hosea 12:7 He is a merchant, the balances of deceit are in his hand: he loveth to oppress.
- Amos 8:5 Saying, When will the new moon be gone, that we may sell corn? and the sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, making the ephah small, and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit?
- Micah 6:11 Shall I count them pure with the wicked balances, and with the bag of deceitful weights?
- Proverbs 11:1 A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight.
- Proverbs 20:23 Divers weights are an abomination unto the LORD; and a false balance is not good.