Amariah in the Bible
1. Two Levites
- 1 Chronicles 6:7 Meraioth begat Amariah, and Amariah begat Ahitub,
- 1 Chronicles 6:52 Meraioth his son, Amariah his son, Ahitub his son,
- 1 Chronicles 23:19 Of the sons of Hebron; Jeriah the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, and Jekameam the fourth.
- 1 Chronicles 24:23 And the sons of Hebron; Jeriah the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, Jekameam the fourth.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for AMARIAH.
2. Chief priest in the reign of Jehoshaphat
- 2 Chronicles 19:11 And, behold, Amariah the chief priest is over you in all matters of the LORD; and Zebadiah the son of Ishmael, the ruler of the house of Judah, for all the king's matters: also the Levites shall be officers before you. Deal courageously, and the LORD shall be with the good.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Amariah.
3. A high priest, father of Ahitub
- 1 Chronicles 6:11 And Azariah begat Amariah, and Amariah begat Ahitub,
- Ezra 7:3 The son of Amariah, the son of Azariah, the son of Meraioth,
4. A Levite, who assisted in distributing temple gifts
- 2 Chronicles 31:15-19 And next him were Eden, and Miniamin, and Jeshua, and Shemaiah, Amariah, and Shecaniah, in the cities of the priests, in their set office, to give to their brethren by courses, as well to the great as to the small: 16 Beside their genealogy of males, from three years old and upward, even unto every one that entereth into the house of the LORD, his daily portion for their service in their charges according to their courses; 17 Both to the genealogy of the priests by the house of their fathers, and the Levites from twenty years old and upward, in their charges by their courses; 18 And to the genealogy of all their little ones, their wives, and their sons, and their daughters, through all the congregation: for in their set office they sanctified themselves in holiness: ...
5. Son of Hizkiah
- Zephaniah 1:1 The word of the LORD which came unto Zephaniah the son of Cushi, the son of Gedaliah, the son of Amariah, the son of Hizkiah, in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, king of Judah.
6. Father of Zechariah
- Nehemiah 11:4 And at Jerusalem dwelt certain of the children of Judah, and of the children of Benjamin. Of the children of Judah; Athaiah the son of Uzziah, the son of Zechariah, the son of Amariah, the son of Shephatiah, the son of Mahalaleel, of the children of Perez;
7. A priest, returned from exile
- Nehemiah 10:3 Pashur, Amariah, Malchijah,
- Nehemiah 12:2 Amariah, Malluch, Hattush,
Probably identical with one mentioned in
- Nehemiah 12:13 Of Ezra, Meshullam; of Amariah, Jehohanan;
8. A returned exile. Divorces his idolatrous wife
- Ezra 10:42 Shallum, Amariah, and Joseph.