Ai in the Bible
1. A royal city of the Canaanites
Conquest and destruction of
- Joshua 7:8 O Lord, what shall I say, when Israel turneth their backs before their enemies!
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for AI.
- Ezra 2:28 The men of Bethel and Ai, two hundred twenty and three.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Ai.
Also called AIJA
- Nehemiah 11:31 The children also of Benjamin from Geba dwelt at Michmash, and Aija, and Bethel, and in their villages,
- Isaiah 10:28 He is come to Aiath, he is passed to Migron; at Michmash he hath laid up his carriages:
- Joshua 8:25 And so it was, that all that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai.
2. A city of the Ammonites
- Jeremiah 49:3 Howl, O Heshbon, for Ai is spoiled: cry, ye daughters of Rabbah, gird you with sackcloth; lament, and run to and fro by the hedges; for their king shall go into captivity, and his priests and his princes together.