Weaving in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Isaiah 19:9 Moreover they that work in fine flax, and they that weave networks, shall be confounded.
- Isaiah 38:12 Mine age is departed, and is removed from me as a shepherd's tent: I have cut off like a weaver my life: he will cut me off with pining sickness: from day even to night wilt thou make an end of me.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for WEAVING.
Bezaleel skilled in
- Exodus 35:35 Them hath he filled with wisdom of heart, to work all manner of work, of the engraver, and of the cunning workman, and of the embroiderer, in blue, and in purple, in scarlet, and in fine linen, and of the weaver, even of them that do any work, and of those that devise cunning work.
⇒Definition of weaving
Performed by women
- 2 Kings 23:7 And he brake down the houses of the sodomites, that were by the house of the LORD, where the women wove hangings for the grove.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Weaving.
Of the ephod
- Exodus 28:32 And there shall be an hole in the top of it, in the midst thereof: it shall have a binding of woven work round about the hole of it, as it were the hole of an habergeon, that it be not rent.
- Exodus 39:22 And he made the robe of the ephod of woven work, all of blue.
- Exodus 39:27 And they made coats of fine linen of woven work for Aaron, and for his sons,
- Job 7:6 My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle, and are spent without hope.
- Judges 16:14 And she fastened it with the pin, and said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awaked out of his sleep, and went away with the pin of the beam, and with the web.
- 2 Samuel 21:19 And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.
- 1 Chronicles 11:23 And he slew an Egyptian, a man of great stature, five cubits high; and in the Egyptian's hand was a spear like a weaver's beam; and he went down to him with a staff, and plucked the spear out of the Egyptian's hand, and slew him with his own spear.