Timbrel in the Bible
(Also called TABRET, an instrument of music (in the tambourine category)) Used by Miriam
- Exodus 15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for TIMBREL.
By Jephthah's daughter
- Judges 11:34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
⇒Definition of timbrel
Used in religious services
- 2 Samuel 6:5 And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals.
- 1 Chronicles 13:8 And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.
- Psalms 68:25 The singers went before, the players on instruments followed after; among them were the damsels playing with timbrels.
- Psalms 81:2 Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery.
- Psalms 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
- Psalms 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Timbrel.
Used in dances
- Job 21:12 They take the timbrel and harp, and rejoice at the sound of the organ.
See MUSIC, INSTRUMENTS OF