Speaking in the Bible
- Exodus 22:28 Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people.
- Job 19:18 Yea, young children despised me; I arose, and they spake against me.
- Psalms 10:7-8 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity. 8 He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.
- Psalms 12:3-4 The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things: 4 Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?
- Psalms 34:13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
- Psalms 35:21 Yea, they opened their mouth wide against me, and said, Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it.
- Psalms 41:5-9 Mine enemies speak evil of me, When shall he die, and his name perish? 6 And if he come to see me, he speaketh vanity: his heart gathereth iniquity to itself; when he goeth abroad, he telleth it. 7 All that hate me whisper together against me: against me do they devise my hurt. 8 An evil disease, say they, cleaveth fast unto him: and now that he lieth he shall rise up no more. ...
- Psalms 52:2-4 Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp rasor, working deceitfully. 3 Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. 4 Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue.
- Psalms 59:12 For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips let them even be taken in their pride: and for cursing and lying which they speak.
- Psalms 64:2-5 Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity: 3 Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words: 4 That they may shoot in secret at the perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not. 5 They encourage themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?
- Psalms 69:12 They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards.
- Psalms 69:26 For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the grief of those whom thou hast wounded.
- Psalms 70:3 Let them be turned back for a reward of their shame that say, Aha, aha.
- Psalms 102:8 Mine enemies reproach me all the day; and they that are mad against me are sworn against me.
- Psalms 106:33 Because they provoked his spirit, so that he spake unadvisedly with his lips.
- Psalms 119:23 Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.
- Psalms 120 In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me. 2 Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue. 3 What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue? 4 Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper. ...
- Psalms 140:3 They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selah.
- Psalms 140:11 Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth: evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him.
- Proverbs 4:24 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
- Also Proverbs 6:16-19; 8:13; 10:11,19,31-32; 11:11; 12:5-6,13,17-19; 13:3; 14:25; 15:1,4,28; 16:27-28; 17:4,9,20; 18:8,21,23; 19:1,22,28; 24:2; 25:23; 26:20-23,28; Ecclesiastes 7:22; 10:11,20; Isaiah 6:5; 32:6-7; Jeremiah 20:10; Matthew 5:22,37; 12:34-37; Acts 23:5; Romans 1:29-30; 3:13-14; 1 Corinthians 6:10; Ephesians 4:25,29,31; 5:4; Titus 1:10-11; 3:2; James 1:19,26; 3:5-6,8-10; 4:11; 1 Peter 2:1; 3:9-10; 2 Peter 2:7-8,10; Jude 1:8-10.
- Job 13:5 O that ye would altogether hold your peace! and it should be your wisdom.
- Job 16:3-4 Shall vain words have an end? or what emboldeneth thee that thou answerest? 4 I also could speak as ye do: if your soul were in my soul's stead, I could heap up words against you, and shake mine head at you.
- Job 38:2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
- Proverbs 10:14 Wise men lay up knowledge: but the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.
- Proverbs 12:23 A prudent man concealeth knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaimeth foolishness.
- Proverbs 13:3 He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.
- Proverbs 14:3 In the mouth of the foolish is a rod of pride: but the lips of the wise shall preserve them.
- Proverbs 15:2 The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
- Proverbs 15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
- Proverbs 15:14 The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.
- Proverbs 18:6-7 A fool's lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes. 7 A fool's mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul.
- Proverbs 18:13 He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is folly and shame unto him.
- Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
- Proverbs 26:7 The legs of the lame are not equal: so is a parable in the mouth of fools.
- Proverbs 26:9 As a thorn goeth up into the hand of a drunkard, so is a parable in the mouth of fools.
- Proverbs 29:11 A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
- Proverbs 29:20 Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him.
- Proverbs 30:10 Accuse not a servant unto his master, lest he curse thee, and thou be found guilty.
- Ecclesiastes 5:3 For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.
- Ecclesiastes 5:7 For in the multitude of dreams and many words there are also divers vanities: but fear thou God.
- Ecclesiastes 10:13-14 The beginning of the words of his mouth is foolishness: and the end of his talk is mischievous madness. 14 A fool also is full of words: a man cannot tell what shall be; and what shall be after him, who can tell him?
- Matthew 12:36-37 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
- Ephesians 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
- Job 16:5 But I would strengthen you with my mouth, and the moving of my lips should asswage your grief.
- Job 27:4 My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit.
- Psalms 15:1-3 LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? 2 He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. 3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
- Psalms 37:30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.
- Psalms 39:1 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.
- Psalms 50:23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.
- Psalms 77:12 I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.
- Psalms 119:13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.
- Psalms 119:27 Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.
- Psalms 119:54 Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
- Psalms 119:172 My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.
- Psalms 141:3 Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.
- Psalms 145:5-7 I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works. 6 And men shall speak of the might of thy terrible acts: and I will declare thy greatness. 7 They shall abundantly utter the memory of thy great goodness, and shall sing of thy righteousness.
- Psalms 145:11-12 They shall speak of the glory of thy kingdom, and talk of thy power; 12 To make known to the sons of men his mighty acts, and the glorious majesty of his kingdom.
- Proverbs 10:11 The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.
- Proverbs 10:13 In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found: but a rod is for the back of him that is void of understanding.
- Proverbs 10:19-21 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise. 20 The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth. 21 The lips of the righteous feed many: but fools die for want of wisdom.
- Proverbs 10:31-32 The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out. 32 The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness.
- Proverbs 11:12-14 He that is void of wisdom despiseth his neighbour: but a man of understanding holdeth his peace. 13 A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter. 14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellers there is safety.
- Proverbs 12:6 The words of the wicked are to lie in wait for blood: but the mouth of the upright shall deliver them.
- Proverbs 12:14 A man shall be satisfied with good by the fruit of his mouth: and the recompence of a man's hands shall be rendered unto him.
- Proverbs 12:16-20 A fool's wrath is presently known: but a prudent man covereth shame. 17 He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deceit. 18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health. 19 The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment. ...
- Also Proverbs 12:23; 13:2-3; 14:3; 15:1-2,4,7,23,26,28; 16:21-24; 17:7,27-28; 18:4,20; 19:1; 20:15; 21:23; 22:11; 24:6; 25:11,15; 26:5; 29:11; 31:26; Ecclesiastes 3:7; 9:17; 10:12; 12:9-11; Amos 5:13; Zephaniah 3:13; Zechariah 8:16; Matthew 12:35,37; Luke 6:45; Ephesians 4:22,25,29; Philippians 1:27; Colossians 4:6; James 1:19,26; 3:2,13; 1 Peter 2:12; 3:15-16; Revelation 14:5.