Shimei in the Bible
1. Also called SHIMI
Son of Gershon
- Exodus 6:17 The sons of Gershon; Libni, and Shimi, according to their families.
- Numbers 3:18 And these are the names of the sons of Gershon by their families; Libni, and Shimei.
- 1 Chronicles 6:17 And these be the names of the sons of Gershom; Libni, and Shimei.
- 1 Chronicles 23:7 Of the Gershonites were, Laadan, and Shimei.
- 1 Chronicles 23:10 And the sons of Shimei were, Jahath, Zina, and Jeush, and Beriah. These four were the sons of Shimei.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for SHIMEI.
2. A Benjamite
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Shimei.
Curses David; David's magnanimity toward
- 2 Samuel 16:5-13 And when king David came to Bahurim, behold, thence came out a man of the family of the house of Saul, whose name was Shimei, the son of Gera: he came forth, and cursed still as he came. 6 And he cast stones at David, and at all the servants of king David: and all the people and all the mighty men were on his right hand and on his left. 7 And thus said Shimei when he cursed, Come out, come out, thou bloody man, and thou man of Belial: 8 The LORD hath returned upon thee all the blood of the house of Saul, in whose stead thou hast reigned; and the LORD hath delivered the kingdom into the hand of Absalom thy son: and, behold, thou art taken in thy mischief, because thou art a bloody man. ...
- 2 Samuel 19:16 And Shimei the son of Gera, a Benjamite, which was of Bahurim, hasted and came down with the men of Judah to meet king David.
- 2 Samuel 23 Now these be the last words of David. David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, said, 2 The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue. 3 The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God. 4 And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after rain. ...
- 1 Kings 2:36-46 And the king sent and called for Shimei, and said unto him, Build thee an house in Jerusalem, and dwell there, and go not forth thence any whither. 37 For it shall be, that on the day thou goest out, and passest over the brook Kidron, thou shalt know for certain that thou shalt surely die: thy blood shall be upon thine own head. 38 And Shimei said unto the king, The saying is good: as my lord the king hath said, so will thy servant do. And Shimei dwelt in Jerusalem many days. 39 And it came to pass at the end of three years, that two of the servants of Shimei ran away unto Achish son of Maachah king of Gath. And they told Shimei, saying, Behold, thy servants be in Gath. ...
3. An officer of David
- 1 Kings 1:8 But Zadok the priest, and Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, and Nathan the prophet, and Shimei, and Rei, and the mighty men which belonged to David, were not with Adonijah.
4. One of Solomon's commissary officers
- 1 Kings 4:18 Shimei the son of Elah, in Benjamin:
5. Grandson of Jeconiah
- 1 Chronicles 3:19 And the sons of Pedaiah were, Zerubbabel, and Shimei: and the sons of Zerubbabel; Meshullam, and Hananiah, and Shelomith their sister:
6. Son of Zacchur
- 1 Chronicles 4:26-27 And the sons of Mishma; Hamuel his son, Zacchur his son, Shimei his son. 27 And Shimei had sixteen sons and six daughters; but his brethren had not many children, neither did all their family multiply, like to the children of Judah.
7. A Reubenite
Son of Gog
- 1 Chronicles 5:4 The sons of Joel; Shemaiah his son, Gog his son, Shimei his son,
8. A Merarite
Son of Libni
- 1 Chronicles 6:29 The sons of Merari; Mahli, Libni his son, Shimei his son, Uzza his son,
9. A Gershonite
Son of Jahath
- 1 Chronicles 6:42 The son of Ethan, the son of Zimmah, the son of Shimei,
10. Father of a family in the tribe of Benjamin, (in the A. V., called SHIMHI)
- 1 Chronicles 8:21 And Adaiah, and Beraiah, and Shimrath, the sons of Shimhi;
11. A Levite
- 1 Chronicles 23:9 The sons of Shimei; Shelomith, and Haziel, and Haran, three. These were the chief of the fathers of Laadan.
12. A leader of singers during the time of David
- 1 Chronicles 25:17 The tenth to Shimei, he, his sons, and his brethren, were twelve:
13. David's overseer of vineyards
- 1 Chronicles 27:27 And over the vineyards was Shimei the Ramathite: over the increase of the vineyards for the wine cellars was Zabdi the Shiphmite:
14. A son of Heman
- 2 Chronicles 29:14 And of the sons of Heman; Jehiel, and Shimei: and of the sons of Jeduthun; Shemaiah, and Uzziel.
15. A Levite
Treasurer of tithes and offerings during the time of Hezekiah
- 2 Chronicles 31:12-13 And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was the next. 13 And Jehiel, and Azaziah, and Nahath, and Asahel, and Jerimoth, and Jozabad, and Eliel, and Ismachiah, and Mahath, and Benaiah, were overseers under the hand of Cononiah and Shimei his brother, at the commandment of Hezekiah the king, and Azariah the ruler of the house of God.
16. A Levite who put away (divorced) his Gentile wife
- Ezra 10:23 Also of the Levites; Jozabad, and Shimei, and Kelaiah, (the same is Kelita,) Pethahiah, Judah, and Eliezer.
17. The name of two Israelites who put away (divorced) Gentile wives
- Ezra 10:33 Of the sons of Hashum; Mattenai, Mattathah, Zabad, Eliphelet, Jeremai, Manasseh, and Shimei.
- Ezra 10:38 And Bani, and Binnui, Shimei,
18. A Benjamite
Grandfather of Mordecai
- Esther 2:5 Now in Shushan the palace there was a certain Jew, whose name was Mordecai, the son of Jair, the son of Shimei, the son of Kish, a Benjamite;
19. The ancestor of a family
- Zechariah 12:13 The family of the house of Levi apart, and their wives apart; the family of Shimei apart, and their wives apart;
Possibly identical with number one