Shechaniah in the Bible
1. A descendant of David
- 1 Chronicles 3:21-22 And the sons of Hananiah; Pelatiah, and Jesaiah: the sons of Rephaiah, the sons of Arnan, the sons of Obadiah, the sons of Shechaniah. 22 And the sons of Shechaniah; Shemaiah: and the sons of Shemaiah; Hattush, and Igeal, and Bariah, and Neariah, and Shaphat, six.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Shechaniah.
2. Two men whose descendants returned with Ezra from the captivity in Babylon
- Ezra 8:3 Of the sons of Shechaniah, of the sons of Pharosh; Zechariah: and with him were reckoned by genealogy of the males an hundred and fifty.
- Ezra 8:5 Of the sons of Shechaniah; the son of Jahaziel, and with him three hundred males.
3. A Jew who proposed the putting away (divorce) of Gentile wives to Ezra
- Ezra 10:2 And Shechaniah the son of Jehiel, one of the sons of Elam, answered and said unto Ezra, We have trespassed against our God, and have taken strange wives of the people of the land: yet now there is hope in Israel concerning this thing.
4. Father of Shemaiah
- Nehemiah 3:29 After them repaired Zadok the son of Immer over against his house. After him repaired also Shemaiah the son of Shechaniah, the keeper of the east gate.
Possibly identical with number one
5. Father-in-law of Tobiah
- Nehemiah 6:18 For there were many in Judah sworn unto him, because he was the son in law of Shechaniah the son of Arah; and his son Johanan had taken the daughter of Meshullam the son of Berechiah.
6. A Levite who returned with Zerubbabel from the captivity in Babylon
- Nehemiah 12:3 Shechaniah, Rehum, Meremoth,