Shabbethai in the Bible
1. A Levite, assistant to Ezra
- Ezra 10:15 Only Jonathan the son of Asahel and Jahaziah the son of Tikvah were employed about this matter: and Meshullam and Shabbethai the Levite helped them.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for SHABBETHAI.
2. An expounder of the law
- Nehemiah 8:7 Also Jeshua, and Bani, and Sherebiah, Jamin, Akkub, Shabbethai, Hodijah, Maaseiah, Kelita, Azariah, Jozabad, Hanan, Pelaiah, and the Levites, caused the people to understand the law: and the people stood in their place.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Shabbethai.
3. A chief Levite, an attendant of the temple
- Nehemiah 11:16 And Shabbethai and Jozabad, of the chief of the Levites, had the oversight of the outward business of the house of God.