Self-righteousness in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Numbers 16:3 And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD?
- Deuteronomy 9:4-6 Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the LORD thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the LORD hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD doth drive them out from before thee. 5 Not for thy righteousness, or for the uprightness of thine heart, dost thou go to possess their land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee, and that he may perform the word which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. 6 Understand therefore, that the LORD thy God giveth thee not this good land to possess it for thy righteousness; for thou art a stiffnecked people.
- 1 Samuel 2:9 He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail.
- Job 6:13 Is not my help in me? and is wisdom driven quite from me?
- Job 11:4-6 For thou hast said, My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in thine eyes. 5 But oh that God would speak, and open his lips against thee; 6 And that he would shew thee the secrets of wisdom, that they are double to that which is! Know therefore that God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth.
- Job 12:2 No doubt but ye are the people, and wisdom shall die with you.
- Job 13:3 Surely I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to reason with God.
- Job 13:13 Hold your peace, let me alone, that I may speak, and let come on me what will.
- Job 13:15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.
- Job 13:18-19 Behold now, I have ordered my cause; I know that I shall be justified. 19 Who is he that will plead with me? for now, if I hold my tongue, I shall give up the ghost.
- Job 16:17-18 Not for any injustice in mine hands: also my prayer is pure. 18 O earth, cover not thou my blood, and let my cry have no place.
- Job 18:2-4 How long will it be ere ye make an end of words? mark, and afterwards we will speak. 3 Wherefore are we counted as beasts, and reputed vile in your sight? 4 He teareth himself in his anger: shall the earth be forsaken for thee? and shall the rock be removed out of his place?
- Also Job 21:27-29; 22:2-3; 32:1-2; 33:8-9; 35:2,7-8; Psalms 10:5-6; Proverbs 12:15; 14:12; 16:2; 20:6; 21:2; 25:14,27; 26:12; 27:2,21; 28:13,26; 30:12-13; Isaiah 5:21; 28:17,20; 47:7; 50:11; 64:6; 65:3-5; Jeremiah 2:13,22-23,34-35; 7:4; 8:8; 17:5; 49:4,16; Ezekiel 33:24-26; Hosea 12:8; Amos 6:13; Habakkuk 2:4; Zephaniah 3:11; Matthew 7:22-23; 9:10-13; 16:6; 19:16-22; 22:12-13; 23:29-31; Mark 2:16; 8:15; 10:17-22; Luke 5:30; 7:36-50; 10:25-37; 15:2,25-32; 16:14-15; 18:9-14,18-23; John 9:34,39-41; Romans 2:17-20; 3:27; 10:3; 11:19-21; 2 Corinthians 1:9; 10:17-18; Galatians 6:3; Revelation 3:17-18.
- 1 Samuel 15:13-31 And Samuel came to Saul: and Saul said unto him, Blessed be thou of the LORD: I have performed the commandment of the LORD. 14 And Samuel said, What meaneth then this bleating of the sheep in mine ears, and the lowing of the oxen which I hear? 15 And Saul said, They have brought them from the Amalekites: for the people spared the best of the sheep and of the oxen, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God; and the rest we have utterly destroyed. 16 Then Samuel said unto Saul, Stay, and I will tell thee what the LORD hath said to me this night. And he said unto him, Say on. ...
Young man, see above
Lawyer, see above
- Luke 11:33-54 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light. 34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. 35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. 36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light. ...
- John 8:33-59 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. 35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. 36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. ...
- John 9:28-34 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples. 29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is. 30 The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes. 31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. ...
- Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
The Laodicean congregation
- Revelation 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: