Self-examination in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Job 13:23 How many are mine iniquities and sins? make me to know my transgression and my sin.
- Psalms 4:4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
- Psalms 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
- Psalms 26:2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.
- Psalms 77:6 I call to remembrance my song in the night: I commune with mine own heart: and my spirit made diligent search.
- Psalms 119:59 I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.
- Psalms 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
- Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
- Lamentations 3:40 Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD.
- Haggai 1:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
- Matthew 26:22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?
- Mark 14:19 And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I?
- 1 Corinthians 11:27-28 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
- 1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
- 2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
- Galatians 6:3-5 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. 4 But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. 5 For every man shall bear his own burden.