Praise in the Bible
Song of Moses, after the passage through the Red Sea
- Exodus 15:1-19 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him. 3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name. 4 Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea. ...
- Exodus 15:21 And Miriam answered them, Sing ye to the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
Of Deborah, after defeating the Canaanites
- Judges 5 Then sang Deborah and Barak the son of Abinoam on that day, saying, 2 Praise ye the LORD for the avenging of Israel, when the people willingly offered themselves. 3 Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel. 4 LORD, when thou wentest out of Seir, when thou marchedst out of the field of Edom, the earth trembled, and the heavens dropped, the clouds also dropped water. ...
- 1 Samuel 2:1-10 And Hannah prayed, and said, My heart rejoiceth in the LORD, mine horn is exalted in the LORD: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation. 2 There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God. 3 Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed. 4 The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength. ...
Celebrating his deliverance from the hand of Saul
- 2 Samuel 22 And David spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD had delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul: 2 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; 3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. 4 I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. ...
On bringing the ark of the covenant to Zion
- 1 Chronicles 16:8-36 Give thanks unto the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the people. 9 Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of all his wondrous works. 10 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD. 11 Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually. ...
At the close of his reign
- 1 Chronicles 29:10-19 Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever. 11 Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. 12 Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. 13 Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name. ...
The chorus when Solomon brought the ark of the covenant into the temple
- 2 Chronicles 5:13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;
Psalms of, for God's goodness to Israel
- Psalms 46 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; 3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah. 4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. ...
- Psalms 48 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness. 2 Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King. 3 God is known in her palaces for a refuge. 4 For, lo, the kings were assembled, they passed by together. ...
- Also Psalms 65; 66; 68; 76; 81; 85; 98; 105; 124; 126; 129; 135; 136.
See the Scriptures below For God's goodness to righteous men
- Psalms 23 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. ...
- Psalms 34 I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2 My soul shall make her boast in the LORD: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad. 3 O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together. 4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. ...
- Also Psalms 36; 91; 100; 103; 107; 117; 121.
See printed scriptures below For God's goodness to individuals
- Psalms 9 I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. 2 I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High. 3 When mine enemies are turned back, they shall fall and perish at thy presence. 4 For thou hast maintained my right and my cause; thou satest in the throne judging right. ...
- Psalms 18 I will love thee, O LORD, my strength. 2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. 3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. 4 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. ...
- Also Psalms 22; 30; 40; 75; 103; 108; 116; 118; 138; 144.
For God's attributes
- Psalms 8 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens. 2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger. 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? ...
- Psalms 19 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. 2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. 3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. 4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, ...
- Also Psalms 22; 24; 29; 33; 47; 50; 65; 66; 76; 77; 92; 93; 95; 96; 97; 98; 99; 104; 111; 113; 114; 115; 134; 139; 147; 148; 150.
UNCLASSIFIED SCRIPTURES RELATING TO
- Genesis 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
- Exodus 15:1-2 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him.
- Deuteronomy 10:21 He is thy praise, and he is thy God, that hath done for thee these great and terrible things, which thine eyes have seen.
- Judges 5:3 Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel.
- 2 Samuel 22:4 I will call on the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
- 1 Chronicles 16:31 Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice: and let men say among the nations, The LORD reigneth.
- Also 1 Chronicles 16:33-34,36; 23:30; 2 Chronicles 7:3; Nehemiah 9:5-6; Job 36:24; Psalms 7:17; 8:2; 9:11; 18:3; 21:13; 22:22-23,25; 24:7-10; 26:12; 28:6-7; 30:4; 32:11; 33:1-3; 34:1-3; 35:18,28; 41:13; 42:4; 43:3-4; 47:1,6-7; 48:1; 50:23; 51:15; 52:9; 56:10,12; 57:7-9; 61:8; 63:3-6; 65:1; 66:1-2,4,8; 67:3-4; 68:4,26,32-34; 69:30,34; 70:4; 71:8,14-15,22; 75:1; 79:13; 81:1; 84:4; 86:12; 89:5,52; 92:1-3; 95:1-2,6-7; 96:1-4,7-9; 97:12; 98:4-6; 99:3,5,9; 100; 101:1; 103:20-22; 104:33-34; 105:1-5; 106:1,48; 107:8-9,15,21,31-32; 108:1-3; 109:30; 111:1,10; 113:1-2; 115:18; 116:12-14,17-19; 117; 118:15,28-29; 119:7,62,108,164,171-172,175; 134:1-2; 135:1-3,19,21; 136; 138:1-2; 140:13; 144:1-2,9; 145; 146; 147; 148; 149; 150; Isaiah 12; 24:14-16; 25:1; 35:10; 38:18-19; 42:10-12; 43:21; 49:13; 51:3; 52:7-10; 61:3; Jeremiah 31:7; 33:11; Daniel 2:20,23; 4:37; Jonah 2:9; Matthew 26:30; Mark 14:26; Luke 1:46-55,67-75; 2:20; 17:15-16; 19:37-38; 24:52-53; Acts 2:46-47; 4:24; 16:25; Romans 11:36; 16:27; 1 Corinthians 14:15; 15:57; Ephesians 1:3; 3:20-21; 5:19; Philippians 4:20; 1 Timothy 1:17; Hebrews 2:12; 13:15; James 5:13; 1 Peter 1:3; 2:9; 4:11; 5:11; 2 Peter 3:18; Jude 1:25; Revelation 1:6; 14:7.
- Nehemiah 9:6 Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.
- Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
- Psalms 103:20-21 Bless the LORD, ye his angels, that excel in strength, that do his commandments, hearkening unto the voice of his word. 21 Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure.
- Psalms 148:2 Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts.
- Psalms 148:4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.
- Isaiah 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
- Also Ezekiel 3:12; Luke 2:13-14; 15:7,10; Revelation 1:6; 4:8-11; 5:9-14; 7:9-12; 11:16-17; 14:2-3; 15:3-4; 19:1-7.