Phinehas in the Bible
- Exodus 6:25 And Eleazar Aaron's son took him one of the daughters of Putiel to wife; and she bare him Phinehas: these are the heads of the fathers of the Levites according to their families.
- 1 Chronicles 6:4 Eleazar begat Phinehas, Phinehas begat Abishua,
- 1 Chronicles 6:50 And these are the sons of Aaron; Eleazar his son, Phinehas his son, Abishua his son,
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for PHINEHAS.
Religious zeal of, in killing the Israelitish woman who had committed abomination
- Numbers 25:7-15 And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand; 8 And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel. 9 And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand. 10 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, ...
- Psalms 106:30 Then stood up Phinehas, and executed judgment: and so the plague was stayed.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Phinehas.
Chief of the Korahite Levites
- 1 Chronicles 9:19-20 And Shallum the son of Kore, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah, and his brethren, of the house of his father, the Korahites, were over the work of the service, keepers of the gates of the tabernacle: and their fathers, being over the host of the LORD, were keepers of the entry. 20 And Phinehas the son of Eleazar was the ruler over them in time past, and the LORD was with him.
Sent to sound the trumpets in the battle with the Midianites
- Numbers 31:6 And Moses sent them to the war, a thousand of every tribe, them and Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, to the war, with the holy instruments, and the trumpets to blow in his hand.
Sent, with other princes of the Israelites west of the Jordan River to inquire of the Israelites on the east of the Jordan River what the monument they had erected signified
- Joshua 22:13-32 And the children of Israel sent unto the children of Reuben, and to the children of Gad, and to the half tribe of Manasseh, into the land of Gilead, Phinehas the son of Eleazar the priest, 14 And with him ten princes, of each chief house a prince throughout all the tribes of Israel; and each one was an head of the house of their fathers among the thousands of Israel. 15 And they came unto the children of Reuben, and to the children of Gad, and to the half tribe of Manasseh, unto the land of Gilead, and they spake with them, saying, 16 Thus saith the whole congregation of the LORD, What trespass is this that ye have committed against the God of Israel, to turn away this day from following the LORD, in that ye have builded you an altar, that ye might rebel this day against the LORD? ...
Inheritance allotted to
- Joshua 24:33 And Eleazar the son of Aaron died; and they buried him in a hill that pertained to Phinehas his son, which was given him in mount Ephraim.
Mediator in behalf of the people
- Judges 20:28 And Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, stood before it in those days,) saying, Shall I yet again go out to battle against the children of Benjamin my brother, or shall I cease? And the LORD said, Go up; for to morrow I will deliver them into thine hand.