Ophir in the Bible
1. Son of Joktan
- Genesis 10:29 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan.
- 1 Chronicles 1:23 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab. All these were the sons of Joktan.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for OPHIR.
2. A country celebrated for its gold and other valuable merchandise
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Ophir.
Products of, used by Solomon and Hiram
- 1 Kings 9:28 And they came to Ophir, and fetched from thence gold, four hundred and twenty talents, and brought it to king Solomon.
- 1 Kings 10:11 And the navy also of Hiram, that brought gold from Ophir, brought in from Ophir great plenty of almug trees, and precious stones.
- 2 Chronicles 8:18 And Huram sent him by the hands of his servants ships, and servants that had knowledge of the sea; and they went with the servants of Solomon to Ophir, and took thence four hundred and fifty talents of gold, and brought them to king Solomon.
- 2 Chronicles 9:10 And the servants also of Huram, and the servants of Solomon, which brought gold from Ophir, brought algum trees and precious stones.
Jehoshaphat sends ships to, which are wrecked at sea
- 1 Kings 22:48 Jehoshaphat made ships of Tharshish to go to Ophir for gold: but they went not; for the ships were broken at Eziongeber.
Gold of, proverbial for its fineness
- 1 Chronicles 29:4 Even three thousand talents of gold, of the gold of Ophir, and seven thousand talents of refined silver, to overlay the walls of the houses withal:
- Job 22:24 Then shalt thou lay up gold as dust, and the gold of Ophir as the stones of the brooks.
- Job 28:16 It cannot be valued with the gold of Ophir, with the precious onyx, or the sapphire.
- Psalms 45:9 Kings' daughters were among thy honourable women: upon thy right hand did stand the queen in gold of Ophir.
- Isaiah 13:12 I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.