Name in the Bible
Value of a good
- Proverbs 22:1 A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.
- Ecclesiastes 7:1 A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for NAME.
A new name given to persons who have spiritual adoption
- Isaiah 62:2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.
⇒Definition of name
- Genesis 17:5 Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Name.
- Genesis 17:15 And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be.
- Genesis 32:28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
- Acts 13:9 Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,
Intercessional influence of the name of Jesus, for his people
- Nahum 1 The burden of Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite. 2 God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies. 3 The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet. 4 He rebuketh the sea, and maketh it dry, and drieth up all the rivers: Bashan languisheth, and Carmel, and the flower of Lebanon languisheth. ...
See JESUS, IN HIS NAME
- Hosea 1:3-4 So he went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim; which conceived, and bare him a son. 4 And the LORD said unto him, Call his name Jezreel; for yet a little while, and I will avenge the blood of Jezreel upon the house of Jehu, and will cause to cease the kingdom of the house of Israel.
- Hosea 1:6 And she conceived again, and bare a daughter. And God said unto him, Call her name Loruhamah: for I will no more have mercy upon the house of Israel; but I will utterly take them away.
- Hosea 1:9 Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.
- Hosea 2:1 Say ye unto your brethren, Ammi; and to your sisters, Ruhamah.