Millstone in the Bible
Not to be taken as a pledge
- Deuteronomy 24:6 No man shall take the nether or the upper millstone to pledge: for he taketh a man's life to pledge.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for MILLSTONE.
Probably used in executions by drowning
- Matthew 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
- Mark 9:42 And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.
- Luke 17:2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
⇒Definition of millstone
Abimelech killed by one being of hurled upon him
- Judges 9:53 And a certain woman cast a piece of a millstone upon Abimelech's head, and all to brake his skull.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Millstone.
Figurative of a hard heart
- Job 41:24 His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.