Meribah in the Bible
1. A place in Rephidim, where Moses struck a rock and brought forth water
- Exodus 17:1-7 And all the congregation of the children of Israel journeyed from the wilderness of Sin, after their journeys, according to the commandment of the LORD, and pitched in Rephidim: and there was no water for the people to drink. 2 Wherefore the people did chide with Moses, and said, Give us water that we may drink. And Moses said unto them, Why chide ye with me? wherefore do ye tempt the LORD? 3 And the people thirsted there for water; and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought us up out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and our cattle with thirst? 4 And Moses cried unto the LORD, saying, What shall I do unto this people? they be almost ready to stone me. ...
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for MERIBAH.
2. Meribah-kadesh, fountain in the desert of Zin
- Numbers 20:13 This is the water of Meribah; because the children of Israel strove with the LORD, and he was sanctified in them.
- Numbers 20:24 Aaron shall be gathered unto his people: for he shall not enter into the land which I have given unto the children of Israel, because ye rebelled against my word at the water of Meribah.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Meribah.