Longevity in the Bible
General scriptures concerning
- Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
- Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- 1 Kings 3:11-14 And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment; 12 Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee. 13 And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days. 14 And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days.
- Job 5:26 Thou shalt come to thy grave in a full age, like as a shock of corn cometh in in his season.
- Psalms 21:4 He asked life of thee, and thou gavest it him, even length of days for ever and ever.
- Psalms 34:11-13 Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD. 12 What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good? 13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.
- Psalms 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
- Psalms 91:16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
- Proverbs 3:1-2 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: 2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
- Proverbs 3:16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.
- Proverbs 9:11 For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased.
- Proverbs 10:27 The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.
- Isaiah 65:20 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.
- 1 Peter 3:10-11 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: 11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
See OLD AGE
Adam, nine-hundred and thirty years
- Genesis 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
Seth, nine-hundred and twelve years
- Genesis 5:8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.
Enos, nine-hundred and five years
- Genesis 5:11 And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died.
Cainan, nine-hundred and ten years
- Genesis 5:14 And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died.
Mahalaleel, eight-hundred and ninety-five years
- Genesis 5:17 And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died.
Jared, nine-hundred and sixty-two years
- Genesis 5:20 And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.
Enoch, three-hundred and sixty-five years
- Genesis 5:23 And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
Methuselah, nine-hundred and sixty-nine years
- Genesis 5:27 And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.
Lamech, seven-hundred and seventy-seven years
- Genesis 5:31 And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died.
Noah, nine-hundred and fifty years
- Genesis 9:29 And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.
Shem, six-hundred years
- Genesis 11:10-11 These are the generations of Shem: Shem was an hundred years old, and begat Arphaxad two years after the flood: 11 And Shem lived after he begat Arphaxad five hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.
Arphaxad, four-hundred and thirty-eight years
- Genesis 11:12-13 And Arphaxad lived five and thirty years, and begat Salah: 13 And Arphaxad lived after he begat Salah four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.
Salah, four-hundred and thirty-three years
- Genesis 11:14-15 And Salah lived thirty years, and begat Eber: 15 And Salah lived after he begat Eber four hundred and three years, and begat sons and daughters.
Eber, four-hundred and sixty-four years
- Genesis 11:16-17 And Eber lived four and thirty years, and begat Peleg: 17 And Eber lived after he begat Peleg four hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters.
Peleg, two-hundred and thirty-nine years
- Genesis 11:18-19 And Peleg lived thirty years, and begat Reu: 19 And Peleg lived after he begat Reu two hundred and nine years, and begat sons and daughters.
Reu, two-hundred and thirty-nine years
- Genesis 11:20-21 And Reu lived two and thirty years, and begat Serug: 21 And Reu lived after he begat Serug two hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters.
Serug, two-hundred and thirty years
- Genesis 11:22-23 And Serug lived thirty years, and begat Nahor: 23 And Serug lived after he begat Nahor two hundred years, and begat sons and daughters.
Nahor, one-hundred and forty-eight years
- Genesis 11:24-25 And Nahor lived nine and twenty years, and begat Terah: 25 And Nahor lived after he begat Terah an hundred and nineteen years, and begat sons and daughters.
Terah, two-hundred and five years
- Genesis 11:32 And the days of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran.
Job, "lived one-hundred and forty years" after his ordeal, and then "he died at a very great age,"
- Job 42:16-17 After this lived Job an hundred and forty years, and saw his sons, and his sons' sons, even four generations. 17 So Job died, being old and full of days.
Sarah, one-hundred and twenty-seven years
- Genesis 23:1 And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty years old: these were the years of the life of Sarah.
Abraham, one-hundred and seventy-five years
- Genesis 25:7 And these are the days of the years of Abraham's life which he lived, an hundred threescore and fifteen years.
Isaac, one-hundred and eighty years
- Genesis 35:28 And the days of Isaac were an hundred and fourscore years.
Jacob, one-hundred and forty-seven years
- Genesis 47:28 And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years: so the whole age of Jacob was an hundred forty and seven years.
Joseph, one-hundred and ten years
- Genesis 50:26 So Joseph died, being an hundred and ten years old: and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt.
Amram, one-hundred and thirty-seven years
- Exodus 6:20 And Amram took him Jochebed his father's sister to wife; and she bare him Aaron and Moses: and the years of the life of Amram were an hundred and thirty and seven years.
Aaron, one-hundred and twenty-three years
- Numbers 33:39 And Aaron was an hundred and twenty and three years old when he died in mount Hor.
Moses, one-hundred and twenty years
- Deuteronomy 31:2 And he said unto them, I am an hundred and twenty years old this day; I can no more go out and come in: also the LORD hath said unto me, Thou shalt not go over this Jordan.
- Deuteronomy 34:7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.
Joshua, one-hundred and ten years
- Joshua 24:29 And it came to pass after these things, that Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died, being an hundred and ten years old.
Eli, ninety-eight years
- 1 Samuel 4:15 Now Eli was ninety and eight years old; and his eyes were dim, that he could not see.
Barzillai, eighty years
- 2 Samuel 19:32 Now Barzillai was a very aged man, even fourscore years old: and he had provided the king of sustenance while he lay at Mahanaim; for he was a very great man.
Jehoiada, one-hundred and thirty years
- 2 Chronicles 24:15 But Jehoiada waxed old, and was full of days when he died; an hundred and thirty years old was he when he died.
Anna, older than eighty-four years
- Luke 2:36-37 And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an husband seven years from her virginity; 37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
Paul, "the aged one"
- Philemon 1:9 Yet for love's sake I rather beseech thee, being such an one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.