Judea in the Bible
1. Also called JUDAH and JUDAEA (The southern division of Palestine)
It extended from the Jordan River and the Dead Sea to the Mediterranean Sea, and from Shiloh on the north to the wilderness on the south
- Matthew 4:25 And there followed him great multitudes of people from Galilee, and from Decapolis, and from Jerusalem, and from Judaea, and from beyond Jordan.
- Luke 5:17 And it came to pass on a certain day, as he was teaching, that there were Pharisees and doctors of the law sitting by, which were come out of every town of Galilee, and Judaea, and Jerusalem: and the power of the Lord was present to heal them.
- John 4:47 When he heard that Jesus was come out of Judaea into Galilee, he went unto him, and besought him that he would come down, and heal his son: for he was at the point of death.
- John 4:54 This is again the second miracle that Jesus did, when he was come out of Judaea into Galilee.
⇒Bible Encyclopedia for JUDEA.
The term applies to all of Palestine in
- Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
⇒See also McClintock and Strong Cyclopedia for Judea.
It applies to the territory east of the Jordan River in
- Matthew 19:1 And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these sayings, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judaea beyond Jordan;
- Mark 10:1 And he arose from thence, and cometh into the coasts of Judaea by the farther side of Jordan: and the people resort unto him again; and, as he was wont, he taught them again.
- Luke 23:5 And they were the more fierce, saying, He stirreth up the people, teaching throughout all Jewry, beginning from Galilee to this place.
2. Wilderness of
- Joshua 15:6 And the border went up to Bethhogla, and passed along by the north of Betharabah; and the border went up to the stone of Bohan the son of Reuben:
- Joshua 15:61 In the wilderness, Betharabah, Middin, and Secacah,
Assigned to Benjamin
- Joshua 18:22 And Betharabah, and Zemaraim, and Bethel,
John the Baptist preaches in
- Matthew 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
- Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;