Joy in the Bible
Attributed to God
- Deuteronomy 28:63 And it shall come to pass, that as the LORD rejoiced over you to do you good, and to multiply you; so the LORD will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to nought; and ye shall be plucked from off the land whither thou goest to possess it.
- Deuteronomy 30:9 And the LORD thy God will make thee plenteous in every work of thine hand, in the fruit of thy body, and in the fruit of thy cattle, and in the fruit of thy land, for good: for the LORD will again rejoice over thee for good, as he rejoiced over thy fathers:
- Also Jeremiah 32:41.
- Luke 15:10-32 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth. 11 And he said, A certain man had two sons: 12 And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. 13 And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living. ...
UNCLASSIFIED SCRIPTURES RELATING TO
- Deuteronomy 12:18 But thou must eat them before the LORD thy God in the place which the LORD thy God shall choose, thou, and thy son, and thy daughter, and thy manservant, and thy maidservant, and the Levite that is within thy gates: and thou shalt rejoice before the LORD thy God in all that thou puttest thine hands unto.
- 1 Samuel 2:1 And Hannah prayed, and said, My heart rejoiceth in the LORD, mine horn is exalted in the LORD: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation.
- Also 1 Chronicles 16:27; 2 Chronicles 7:10; Ezra 6:22; Nehemiah 8:10,12; 12:43; Job 8:21; 22:21,26; 33:26; Psalms 2:11; 4:7; 5:11; 9:2,14; 13:5; 14:7; 16:5-6,8-9,11; 17:15; 19:8; 20:5; 21:1,6; 28:7; 30:5,11-12; 32:1-2,11; 33:21; 35:9; 36:8; 40:16; 42:4; 43:4; 45:15; 46:4; 51:8,12; 53:6; 63:5-7,11; 64:10; 68:3; 69:32; 70:4; 71:23; 85:6; 89:15-16; 97:11-12; 100:1-2; 104:34; 105:3,43; 119:1-2,14,16,55,111,162,165; 126:5-6; 132:16; 138:5; 149:2,5; Proverbs 10:28; 13:9; 19:23; 28:12; 29:6; Ecclesiastes 2:26; Isaiah 9:3; 12; 25:9; 29:19; 30:29; 35:1-2,10; 41:16; 44:23; 49:13; 51:11; 52:9; 55:12; 56:7; 61:3,7,10; 65:14,19; 66:10-12,14; Jeremiah 15:16; 31:12-14,25-26; 33:6,11; Joel 2:23; Nahum 1:15; Habakkuk 3:18; Zephaniah 3:14; Haggai 2:9; Zechariah 2:10; 9:9; 10:7; Matthew 18:13; 25:21; Luke 1:47; 2:10; 6:22-23; 10:20; 15:6-8,10,22-32; 24:52; John 16:20,22,24,33; 17:13; Acts 2:28; 8:8,39; 13:52; 16:25,34; Romans 5:2,11; 12:12; 14:17; 15:13; 2 Corinthians 1:12,24; 6:10; 7:4; 8:2; 12:10; Galatians 5:22; Ephesians 5:18-19; Philippians 3:3; 4:4; Colossians 1:11; 1 Thessalonians 1:6; 5:16; Hebrews 10:34; James 1:2; 5:13; 1 Peter 1:8; 4:13; 1 John 1:4; Jude 1:24.
Of Moses and the Israelites, when Pharaoh and his army were destroyed
- Exodus 15:1-22 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. 2 The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father's God, and I will exalt him. 3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name. 4 Pharaoh's chariots and his host hath he cast into the sea: his chosen captains also are drowned in the Red sea. ...
Of Deborah and the Israelites, when Sisera was overthrown
- Judges 5 Then sang Deborah and Barak the son of Abinoam on that day, saying, 2 Praise ye the LORD for the avenging of Israel, when the people willingly offered themselves. 3 Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel. 4 LORD, when thou wentest out of Seir, when thou marchedst out of the field of Edom, the earth trembled, and the heavens dropped, the clouds also dropped water. ...
Of Jephthah's daughter, when he returned from his victory over the Ammonites
- Judges 11:34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
Of Hannah, when Samuel was born
- 1 Samuel 2:1-11 And Hannah prayed, and said, My heart rejoiceth in the LORD, mine horn is exalted in the LORD: my mouth is enlarged over mine enemies; because I rejoice in thy salvation. 2 There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God. 3 Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed. 4 The bows of the mighty men are broken, and they that stumbled are girded with strength. ...
Of Naomi, when Boaz showed kindness to Ruth
- Ruth 2:20 And Naomi said unto her daughter in law, Blessed be he of the LORD, who hath not left off his kindness to the living and to the dead. And Naomi said unto her, The man is near of kin unto us, one of our next kinsmen.
- Ruth 4:14 And the women said unto Naomi, Blessed be the LORD, which hath not left thee this day without a kinsman, that his name may be famous in Israel.
Of the Israelites
When Saul was presented as their king
- 1 Samuel 10:24 And Samuel said to all the people, See ye him whom the LORD hath chosen, that there is none like him among all the people? And all the people shouted, and said, God save the king.
When David killed Goliath
- 1 Samuel 18:6-7 And it came to pass as they came, when David was returned from the slaughter of the Philistine, that the women came out of all cities of Israel, singing and dancing, to meet king Saul, with tabrets, with joy, and with instruments of musick. 7 And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands.
When they came to David to Hebron to make him king
- 1 Chronicles 12:40 Moreover they that were nigh them, even unto Issachar and Zebulun and Naphtali, brought bread on asses, and on camels, and on mules, and on oxen, and meat, meal, cakes of figs, and bunches of raisins, and wine, and oil, and oxen, and sheep abundantly: for there was joy in Israel.
When they took the ark of the covenant from Kirjath-jearim
- 1 Chronicles 13:8 And David and all Israel played before God with all their might, and with singing, and with harps, and with psalteries, and with timbrels, and with cymbals, and with trumpets.
When they brought the ark of the covenant from the house of Obed-edom to Jerusalem
- 1 Chronicles 15:16 And David spake to the chief of the Levites to appoint their brethren to be the singers with instruments of musick, psalteries and harps and cymbals, sounding, by lifting up the voice with joy.
- 1 Chronicles 15:25 So David, and the elders of Israel, and the captains over thousands, went to bring up the ark of the covenant of the LORD out of the house of Obededom with joy.
- Also 1 Chronicles 15:28.
When they made gifts to the house of God
- 1 Chronicles 29:9 Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy.
When they observed the dedication of the temple, and the feast of tabernacles under Ezra
- Ezra 6:16 And the children of Israel, the priests, and the Levites, and the rest of the children of the captivity, kept the dedication of this house of God with joy,
- Ezra 6:22 And kept the feast of unleavened bread seven days with joy: for the LORD had made them joyful, and turned the heart of the king of Assyria unto them, to strengthen their hands in the work of the house of God, the God of Israel.
Of the Jews, after hearing, anew, the word of God
- Nehemiah 8:9-18 And Nehemiah, which is the Tirshatha, and Ezra the priest the scribe, and the Levites that taught the people, said unto all the people, This day is holy unto the LORD your God; mourn not, nor weep. For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the law. 10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength. 11 So the Levites stilled all the people, saying, Hold your peace, for the day is holy; neither be ye grieved. 12 And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them. ...
When they turned away from idolatry
- 2 Chronicles 15:14-15 And they sware unto the LORD with a loud voice, and with shouting, and with trumpets, and with cornets. 15 And all Judah rejoiced at the oath: for they had sworn with all their heart, and sought him with their whole desire; and he was found of them: and the LORD gave them rest round about.
- Also 2 Chronicles 23:18,21; 29:30,36; 30:21,23,26.
When the wall of Jerusalem was dedicated
- Nehemiah 12:43 Also that day they offered great sacrifices, and rejoiced: for God had made them rejoice with great joy: the wives also and the children rejoiced: so that the joy of Jerusalem was heard even afar off.
When the foundation of the second temple was laid
- Ezra 3:11-13 And they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks unto the LORD; because he is good, for his mercy endureth for ever toward Israel. And all the people shouted with a great shout, when they praised the LORD, because the foundation of the house of the LORD was laid. 12 But many of the priests and Levites and chief of the fathers, who were ancient men, that had seen the first house, when the foundation of this house was laid before their eyes, wept with a loud voice; and many shouted aloud for joy: 13 So that the people could not discern the noise of the shout of joy from the noise of the weeping of the people: for the people shouted with a loud shout, and the noise was heard afar off.
Of David, over the offerings of the princes and people for the house of God
- 1 Chronicles 29:10-19 Wherefore David blessed the LORD before all the congregation: and David said, Blessed be thou, LORD God of Israel our father, for ever and ever. 11 Thine, O LORD, is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. 12 Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. 13 Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name. ...
Jews, over the hanging of Haman
- Esther 8:15-16 And Mordecai went out from the presence of the king in royal apparel of blue and white, and with a great crown of gold, and with a garment of fine linen and purple: and the city of Shushan rejoiced and was glad. 16 The Jews had light, and gladness, and joy, and honour.
- Also Esther 7:10.
Of Elisabeth, when Mary visited her
- Luke 1:5-44 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. 6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless. 7 And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years. 8 And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's office before God in the order of his course, ...
Of Mary, when she visited Elisabeth
- Luke 1:46-56 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. 48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. 49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. ...
Of Zecharias, when John the Baptist was born
- Luke 1:67-79 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying, 68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people, 69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; 70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: ...
Of angels, when Jesus was born
- Luke 2:13-14 And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
Of the shepherds, when they saw the infant Jesus
- Luke 2:20 And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
Of the Magi
- Matthew 2:10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
Of Simeon, when Jesus was presented in the temple
- Luke 2:28-32 Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, 29 Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word: 30 For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, 31 Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people; ...
Of the disciples, because the demons were subject to them
- Luke 10:17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
Of the father, when his prodigal son returned
- Luke 15:20-32 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. 21 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. 22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: 23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: ...
Of angels, when sinners repent
- Luke 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
- Luke 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
Of the disciples, when Jesus triumphantly entered Jerusalem
- Matthew 21:8-9 And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way. 9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.
- Also Mark 11:8-10.
Of the women who returned from the Lord's sepulcher
- Matthew 28:8 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.
The disciple, after the resurrection of Jesus
- Luke 24:41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
Of the disciples in the temple after the ascension of Jesus
- Luke 24:53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.
Of the disciples in the temple because they had received the gift of the Holy Spirit
- Acts 2:46-47 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
Of the immobile man who was healed by Peter
- Acts 3:8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
Of Paul, when he went up to Jerusalem
- Acts 20:22-24 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there: 23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. 24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.
Of Paul and Silas, in the jail at Philippi
- Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
Of Rhoda, when she heard Peter at the gate
- Acts 12:14 And when she knew Peter's voice, she opened not the gate for gladness, but ran in, and told how Peter stood before the gate.
Of the disciples at Jerusalem, when Peter told them about the conversion of Cornelius and other Gentiles
- Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.
Of Barnabas, when he saw the success of the gospel at Antioch (in Syria)
- Acts 11:22-23 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch. 23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
Of Paul and the Corinthians, because the excommunicated member repented
- 2 Corinthians 1:24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.
- 2 Corinthians 2:3 And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.
Of Paul and Titus, because of the hospitality of the Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians 7:13 Therefore we were comforted in your comfort: yea, and exceedingly the more joyed we for the joy of Titus, because his spirit was refreshed by you all.
- 2 Corinthians 8:6 Insomuch that we desired Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also finish in you the same grace also.
- Also Romans 15:32; 1 Corinthians 16:18.
Of the Macedonian Christians, when they made a contribution for the Christians at Jerusalem
- 2 Corinthians 8:2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.
Of Paul, when he prayed for the Philippian Christians
- Philippians 1:4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy,
Of Thessalonians, when they believed Paul's gospel
- 1 Thessalonians 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:
Of Paul, rejoicing over his converts
- 1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming? 20 For ye are our glory and joy.
- Also 1 Thessalonians 3:9; Philemon 1:7.
Of early Christians, when they believed in Jesus
- 1 Peter 1:8-9 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
OF THE WICKED
- Job 20:5 That the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite but for a moment?
- Proverbs 14:13 Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is heaviness.
- Also Proverbs 15:21; Ecclesiastes 2:10; 7:6; 11:8-9; Isaiah 16:10; James 4:9.