Joel in the Bible
1. Son of Samuel
- 1 Samuel 8:2 Now the name of his firstborn was Joel; and the name of his second, Abiah: they were judges in Beersheba.
- 1 Chronicles 6:33 And these are they that waited with their children. Of the sons of the Kohathites: Heman a singer, the son of Joel, the son of Shemuel,
- 1 Chronicles 15:17 So the Levites appointed Heman the son of Joel; and of his brethren, Asaph the son of Berechiah; and of the sons of Merari their brethren, Ethan the son of Kushaiah;
- 1 Chronicles 6:28 And the sons of Samuel; the firstborn Vashni, and Abiah.
2. A Simeonite
- 1 Chronicles 4:35 And Joel, and Jehu the son of Josibiah, the son of Seraiah, the son of Asiel,
3. A Reubenite
- 1 Chronicles 5:4 The sons of Joel; Shemaiah his son, Gog his son, Shimei his son,
- 1 Chronicles 5:8 And Bela the son of Azaz, the son of Shema, the son of Joel, who dwelt in Aroer, even unto Nebo and Baalmeon:
4. A Gadite
- 1 Chronicles 5:12 Joel the chief, and Shapham the next, and Jaanai, and Shaphat in Bashan.
5. A Kohathite Levite
- 1 Chronicles 6:36 The son of Elkanah, the son of Joel, the son of Azariah, the son of Zephaniah,
6. Descendant of Issachar
- 1 Chronicles 7:3 And the sons of Uzzi; Izrahiah: and the sons of Izrahiah; Michael, and Obadiah, and Joel, Ishiah, five: all of them chief men.
7. One of David's valiant men
- 1 Chronicles 11:38 Joel the brother of Nathan, Mibhar the son of Haggeri,
Called "IGAL, son of Nathan"
- 2 Samuel 23:36 Igal the son of Nathan of Zobah, Bani the Gadite,
8. Name of two Gershonites
- 1 Chronicles 15:7 Of the sons of Gershom; Joel the chief, and his brethren an hundred and thirty:
- 1 Chronicles 15:11 And David called for Zadok and Abiathar the priests, and for the Levites, for Uriel, Asaiah, and Joel, Shemaiah, and Eliel, and Amminadab,
- 1 Chronicles 23:8 The sons of Laadan; the chief was Jehiel, and Zetham, and Joel, three.
- 1 Chronicles 26:22 The sons of Jehieli; Zetham, and Joel his brother, which were over the treasures of the house of the LORD.
9. Prince of Manasseh
- 1 Chronicles 27:20 Of the children of Ephraim, Hoshea the son of Azaziah: of the half tribe of Manasseh, Joel the son of Pedaiah:
10. A Kohathite who assisted in the cleansing of the temple
- 2 Chronicles 29:12 Then the Levites arose, Mahath the son of Amasai, and Joel the son of Azariah, of the sons of the Kohathites: and of the sons of Merari, Kish the son of Abdi, and Azariah the son of Jehalelel: and of the Gershonites; Joah the son of Zimmah, and Eden the son of Joah:
11. One of Nebo's family
- Ezra 10:43 Of the sons of Nebo; Jeiel, Mattithiah, Zabad, Zebina, Jadau, and Joel, Benaiah.
12. Son of Zichri
- Nehemiah 11:9 And Joel the son of Zichri was their overseer: and Judah the son of Senuah was second over the city.
13. One of the twelve minor prophets, probably lived in the days of Uzziah
- Joel 1:1 The word of the LORD that came to Joel the son of Pethuel.
- Acts 2:16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
Declares the terribleness of God's judgments
- Joel 1 The word of the LORD that came to Joel the son of Pethuel. 2 Hear this, ye old men, and give ear, all ye inhabitants of the land. Hath this been in your days, or even in the days of your fathers? 3 Tell ye your children of it, and let your children tell their children, and their children another generation. 4 That which the palmerworm hath left hath the locust eaten; and that which the locust hath left hath the cankerworm eaten; and that which the cankerworm hath left hath the caterpiller eaten. ...
- Joel 2:1-11 Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in my holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is nigh at hand; 2 A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations. 3 A fire devoureth before them; and behind them a flame burneth: the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness; yea, and nothing shall escape them. 4 The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses; and as horsemen, so shall they run. ...
Denounces judgments against the enemies of God
- Joel 3:1-17 For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, 2 I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land. 3 And they have cast lots for my people; and have given a boy for an harlot, and sold a girl for wine, that they might drink. 4 Yea, and what have ye to do with me, O Tyre, and Zidon, and all the coasts of Palestine? will ye render me a recompence? and if ye recompense me, swiftly and speedily will I return your recompence upon your own head; ...
Sets forth the blessings of the church
- Joel 3:18-21 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim. 19 Egypt shall be a desolation, and Edom shall be a desolate wilderness, for the violence against the children of Judah, because they have shed innocent blood in their land. 20 But Judah shall dwell for ever, and Jerusalem from generation to generation. 21 For I will cleanse their blood that I have not cleansed: for the LORD dwelleth in Zion.